Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Networking

Technibble Sponsor

Old 10-15-2010, 06:20 PM

Haktar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Internet Connection drops from from 50mb to 10mb

Hey guys, this is a personal one and im not sure what is happening, i got 50MB broadband installed, i wired a cat5 cable around the room to the computer its probably about 10 or 15m long, the connection was great for a few days then it suddenly dropped to 10mb, but that is only with the router in, with the ethernet cable plugged directly into the router it goes at 50mb so i assumed i have a faulty router so they sent me out another one today, totally different make/model and its doing exactly the same, any ideas?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haktar View Post
Hey guys, this is a personal one and im not sure what is happening, i got 50MB broadband installed, i wired a cat5 cable around the room to the computer its probably about 10 or 15m long, the connection was great for a few days then it suddenly dropped to 10mb, but that is only with the router in, with the ethernet cable plugged directly into the router it goes at 50mb so i assumed i have a faulty router so they sent me out another one today, totally different make/model and its doing exactly the same, any ideas?
So you are saying with the extra long ethernet cable in it slows down? If so check out your cable especially if it is hand made. I've seen many cables give packet loss problems.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:38 PM

tech0007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Internet Connection drops from from 50mb to 10mb

Are your drivers up to date on your computer for network card ?
have you got the right settings in router ?
Latest firmware router ?
on a small business or home network, you know what your network speed is and the auto detect functionality is unnecessary. It's typically easy to turn off auto-speed detection on your network card and that's often a good step to take when analyzing network problems.
Cordless phones can also jam a wireless router, don't plug a cordless phone into the same line filter feeding a router
router too close to isp provided modem

here are some things to look at.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:31 PM

Haktar is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the replys guys, sorry about the lack of info in my first post i was in a rush, The original router virgin sent me worked great with the long cable in for a few days and then all of a sudden it dropped to 1.12MB/s and its not like it was fluctuating between 5MB/s and 1.12MB/s it was a constant 1.12MB/s, so i tried updating the router and it was fully updated, i even flashed dd-wrt on to the thing ant it was still the same speed, so i took the router out and connected the long cable directly to the modem and it works great, so i just received the new router yesterday and its doing the exact same thing!, although this one will some times give me 5MB/s but the majority of the time its 1.12MB/s i am quite confused...
Old 11-25-2010, 07:40 PM

gsic is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haktar View Post
thanks for the replys guys, sorry about the lack of info in my first post i was in a rush, The original router virgin sent me worked great with the long cable in for a few days and then all of a sudden it dropped to 1.12MB/s and its not like it was fluctuating between 5MB/s and 1.12MB/s it was a constant 1.12MB/s, so i tried updating the router and it was fully updated, i even flashed dd-wrt on to the thing ant it was still the same speed, so i took the router out and connected the long cable directly to the modem and it works great, so i just received the new router yesterday and its doing the exact same thing!, although this one will some times give me 5MB/s but the majority of the time its 1.12MB/s i am quite confused...
Virgin traffic shaping you by any chance ?
Old 11-25-2010, 07:59 PM

DCGPX is on a distinguished road

You dont have TV as well do you?

I had a similar issue whereby my speed wouldnt get above 15mb, turned out the old silver splitters they use were not compatable above 20mb speeds. When I got the netgear wnr2000 fitted its speeds varied wildly and dropped out. Despite them trying everythingh, it took one of their techs who'd come across before 4 min to fix and everything been sweet since I get 44mb regularly and virgin have never capped me despite my usenext downloads around 80GB pm! Logs on your modem will show up errors. I cannot for life of me remember the code though??
Old 11-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Cadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the rough

Yup, Im going for Virgin throttling you too. Depending on the amount of downloads, uploads, general internet useage you have used over the course of say a month, virgin will throttle you.

I think the time is from 4pm to midnight, each day your over, or very close to the limit.

Nige
Cadishead Computers
Old 11-25-2010, 09:18 PM

DCGPX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadishead Computers View Post
Yup, Im going for Virgin throttling you too. Depending on the amount of downloads, uploads, general internet useage you have used over the course of say a month, virgin will throttle you.

I think the time is from 4pm to midnight, each day your over, or very close to the limit.
I dont get capped and I download all times of day, besides according to Virgin they only throttle you to 8MB and thats only if you download massively in a day and after 24hrs its back up, if they throttled any lower you'd prob have case for breach, regardless of fair use, they advertise unlimited for fibre, even BT give you 20GB and as 50MB is V's premier, they're not going to limit you.

I dont think this is the issue OP has.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:41 AM

MM PC Solutions is on a distinguished road

Virgin have been "Testing" throttling on 50mb users recently.