Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Wordpress 11 50.00%
Joomla 8 36.36%
Drupal? 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2010, 05:04 AM

NeutronTech will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to NeutronTech
Default Wordpress vs Joomla vs Drupal?

I'm really anxious to take advantage of all the new features I have available to me now that I have switched to HostGator. On top of the new ability to use a CMS, I also have a new logo that I'm anxious to get out there. So, I've been toying with these three CMSs for about a month and I still can't decide which one to use. I've read some comparisons via Google, but I'd like to hear some of your personal opinions and experiences, and maybe why you chose the CMS that you did.

Thanks for your input.

EDIT: I should add that I have a very limited knowledge of coding and scripting. It seems that code knowledge can make a difference on what I choose.

Last edited by NeutronTech; 10-11-2010 at 05:18 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:35 AM

TopLevelComp is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TopLevelComp Send a message via Skype™ to TopLevelComp

If you're looking for something that you can install, get a theme, get your content on there, and it be ready, WordPress, if you don't like WordPress then Joomla.

Drupal is a good system but I've never been a fan of it. The amount of time to completely learn Drupal and it's capabilities, you're better of getting a PHP/MySQL book and designing your own.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:08 AM

MobileTechie has a spectacular aura aboutMobileTechie has a spectacular aura about

I used Joomla in the end having played with WP for a while. In fact I have a 2nd WP site which I don't really use anymore.

I find Joomla is better designed and a bit more flexible for producing non-blog sites and the range of plugins is very large, although you do have to pay for some of the better ones. I didn't try Drupal so cannot comment.

They all have their limitations and confusing ways of doing things, but Joomla seemed a good happy-medium.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

I have access to all three but use wp. Once you have your template it's easy to use. If you are no good at template design like me get Artisteer and export it to wp. It makes your template look unique as you can tweak every little part of the template without having an artistic bone in your body

Last edited by Martyn; 10-11-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:12 AM

TLE is on a distinguished road

I've never used Drupal so I can't comment on it, but I do use Joomla for my website. I found it quite easy once I got my head around how the menu's work. There is also a huge array of Extensions available for Joomla.

When I started out I installed them both and got a feel for them. I went with Joomla as I felt it had a little more flexibility for any future development work. As far as coding goes, I have little to no experience with PHP. However I have tweaked pages that I found would not pass the HTML validation.

Quote:
If you are no good at template design like me get Artisteer and export it to wp. It makes your template look unique as you can tweak every little part of the template without having an artistic bone in your body
+1 for Artisteer

I could never have created a template from scratch without Artisteer. Thanks to MobileTechie for recommending that one to me
Old 10-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE View Post

+1 for Artisteer

I could never have created a template from scratch without Artisteer. Thanks to MobileTechie for recommending that one to me
And TLE for recommending me

So have a look at TLE's & Mobiletechie's sites to see what can be done with Artisteer and Joomla. Mine is done with Artisteer & Wordpress.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:30 PM

stro has a spectacular aura aboutstro has a spectacular aura about

One thing I would say about drupal is that it does perform well under a heavy load. It's been a few years, but I have an Drupal site that took a direct frontpage hit from Slashdot and survived. While I have recenty seen alot of Word Press installations a little less than speedy.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stro View Post
One thing I would say about drupal is that it does perform well under a heavy load. It's been a few years, but I have an Drupal site that took a direct frontpage hit from Slashdot and survived. While I have recenty seen alot of Word Press installations a little less than speedy.
No idea about that because I don't get that much traffic.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:24 PM

ZenMike is on a distinguished road

Drupal is the most robust, but also the most complex. WordPress is purpose-designed and perfect for a blog site. Joomla is an excellent general purpose CMS and sounds like the best fit for your situation. There are some usability quirks, but once you get a little familiar with the admin interface it's pretty easy to work with. There are also many good template designers out there.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:05 PM

NeutronTech will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to NeutronTech

Thanks for the input! And thanks for the tips on the themes. I think I am going to go with WordPress for now. My site isn't much, and I think it will do everything I need it to, the easiest.