Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-02-2011, 01:33 PM

BienTek is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by minc3d View Post
Until we find a better way to transfer thoughts en-masse into the digital realm than a KEYBOARD, I doubt smartphones of any sort will be taking "over" the Windows space.
... but the keyboard/monitor will act as a dumb terminal for your smart phone to connect to. This is the point that Wheelie has been hammering on.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:38 PM

Ccomp5950 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by minc3d View Post
Smartphones are a COMPLIMENT to a WINDOWS computer world and it will be a long time before this changes. You don't just reverse 15+ years of growth overnight in the tech industry.
Perhaps the Horse-Drawn-Carriage industry and Buggy-whip industry as made obsolete by the automobile may have a word with you?

Give it time, something will replace the PC, and when it does you will either adapt or go out of business.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:48 PM

C0ldf1re is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
... The writing is on the wall... Ultimately ... the cell phone will be as powerful as today's desktop sooner rather than later. When they fully develop the smart phone with a proper docking station (i.e. full sized keyboard, mouse and 23" LCD display) our business as we know it know is toast. Will there be PC's around to work on?...
1. Anything users can touch, they'll break. Everything will tend to be cheap enough to be disposable, but making it all work together again will still be a job.

2. Remember how long it took for "legacy" mainframes to be replaced. (They are still going.)

3. It is the software that users actually use for business. They get locked into software by accumulation of data, and the expense of learning. So they will be locked into processors that run Windows software.
There are two sorts of binary jokes. There is the first sort. And there is the first sort shifted about a bit. Small business accounting downloads Accounts software free downloads UK Invoicing free software SIG LINKS ON HOLD AT PRESENT!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:53 PM

Wheelie is on a distinguished road

Competition is heating up to bring faster processors and lower power consumption to mobile devices:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel's new 3-D chips: A new level in the mobile fight

"Intel's scientists and engineers have once again reinvented the transistor, this time utilizing the third dimension," Intel CEO Paul Otellini said in a press release. "Amazing, world-shaping devices will be created from this capability as we advance Moore's Law into new realms."

"Ivy Bridge is promising -- Intel says its new transistors will provide up to a 37% performance increase and consume less than half the power than their 2-D counterparts. The company also says the 3-D transistors will be ideal for use in small handheld devices since they use less electricity."

Competition is heating up to bring higher and higher broadband speeds to mobile networks

Companies working feverishly to connect smart phones to your keyboard, mouse, and 24" LCD

Will these things kill the desktop PC? No. But it will substantially reduce the number of installed PC's making competition in our business higher and repair costs lower. Homes in my area will have only 1 PC (if any) instead of 2 or 3. Tablets will darn near kill the laptop (half my business is laptops). It will also give rise to the Android OS as a real and formidable competitor to the Microsoft Windows OS.

It is all about convenience and cost. It will be so convenient to carry around your PC in your pocket while having the horsepower to work on graphics images or large spreadsheets. It will marry up instantly to a full sized keyboard, mouse and 24" LCD monitor. It has built-in 10 Mbps broadband speeds. It has built in HD movie camera and 10 Mpixel camera with flash. No, or very little, repair costs since you can simply hard reboot to fix viruses or other glitches. Backups are a breeze over your LAN or to the cloud.

What is not to like about it? (I could lose much of my market share in my current job)

Old 05-06-2011, 05:20 AM

ComputerRepublic is an unknown quantity at this point

Smart phones are becoming more and more popular. They already have the capability to do most things a PC can do, and they are continually getting better.

However, this is not something to be concerned about. With new technologies come new opportunities to expand and grow your business. If you wisely capitalize on this shift in technology, you can likely make a lot of money in the future. Change isn't something to be afraid of; it's something you should welcome and embrace. Change is what levels the playing field and brings in opportunities to overtake your competitors.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:25 PM

anth is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
Competition is heating up to bring faster processors and lower power consumption to mobile devices:

Intel's new 3-D chips: A new level in the mobile fight

"Intel's scientists and engineers have once again reinvented the transistor, this time utilizing the third dimension," Intel CEO Paul Otellini said in a press release. "Amazing, world-shaping devices will be created from this capability as we advance Moore's Law into new realms."

"Ivy Bridge is promising -- Intel says its new transistors will provide up to a 37% performance increase and consume less than half the power than their 2-D counterparts. The company also says the 3-D transistors will be ideal for use in small handheld devices since they use less electricity."

Competition is heating up to bring higher and higher broadband speeds to mobile networks

Companies working feverishly to connect smart phones to your keyboard, mouse, and 24" LCD

Will these things kill the desktop PC? No. But it will substantially reduce the number of installed PC's making competition in our business higher and repair costs lower. Homes in my area will have only 1 PC (if any) instead of 2 or 3. Tablets will darn near kill the laptop (half my business is laptops). It will also give rise to the Android OS as a real and formidable competitor to the Microsoft Windows OS.

It is all about convenience and cost. It will be so convenient to carry around your PC in your pocket while having the horsepower to work on graphics images or large spreadsheets. It will marry up instantly to a full sized keyboard, mouse and 24" LCD monitor. It has built-in 10 Mbps broadband speeds. It has built in HD movie camera and 10 Mpixel camera with flash. No, or very little, repair costs since you can simply hard reboot to fix viruses or other glitches. Backups are a breeze over your LAN or to the cloud.

What is not to like about it? (I could lose much of my market share in my current job)

A bit illusional and lots of tunnel vision- The sky is falling the sky falling-

Technilogy is always changing and you have to adapt

Go tell grandma that she now has to use a cell phone to look up those new peanut butter cookies recipes, so Dell, HP, Toshiba, Gateway will all be out of business because they cannot sell anymore laptops and desktops? Microsoft will go bankrupt because of the Droid OS?

Instead of getting mad look forward to the new technologies and see how you can grow your business with it, there my not be a virus for Droid OS now but who knows.

Your business needs to grow you need to learn new skills and abilities, the smart shops well stay open and profit from all the new technologies the shops that just we can only work on PC's will fade away. Not that the PC is going anywhere for a long long time.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:57 PM

ATTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anth View Post
A bit illusional and lots of tunnel vision- The sky is falling the sky falling-

Technilogy is always changing and you have to adapt

Go tell grandma that she now has to use a cell phone to look up those new peanut butter cookies recipes, so Dell, HP, Toshiba, Gateway will all be out of business because they cannot sell anymore laptops and desktops? Microsoft will go bankrupt because of the Droid OS?

Instead of getting mad look forward to the new technologies and see how you can grow your business with it, there my not be a virus for Droid OS now but who knows.

Your business needs to grow you need to learn new skills and abilities, the smart shops well stay open and profit from all the new technologies the shops that just we can only work on PC's will fade away. Not that the PC is going anywhere for a long long time.
I think you mean delusional.

The quoted post doesn't say it will go away completely, of course Grandma is still going to stay with what she has, but can you make a living helping Grandma get her cookie recipes?
Old 05-06-2011, 11:08 PM

samr2d2 is an unknown quantity at this point

"Within 5 years the computing power of a smartphone will be nearly equal to today's PC and will connect right up to your keyboard, mouse and 24" LCD."

So in 5 years time, mobile phone technology will be 5 years behind PC technology?

Nice one
Old 05-08-2011, 11:55 PM

KM@ Dave is on the way
Send a message via Skype™ to KM@ Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMPC View Post
How can businesses run on cell phones? How can musicians, lab technicians, scientists and the likes of them run their applications on cell phones????
A-freakin-men. True words spoken. Mobiles, PDAs etc all good for email and quick web access with their all new dual core Processors etc. But the Computer is where pure power comes from, and always will do. I'd like to see manufacturers make a phone that doesn't run out of, and I quote this ugly word... 'Battery'

Please try my FREE Windows tool "DigitalPID Decryptor" - Download v1.0.9.05 @ Mediafire
Old 05-09-2011, 12:14 AM

C0ldf1re is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM@ Dave View Post
... I'd like to see manufacturers make a phone that doesn't run out of, and I quote this ugly word... 'Battery'
Well said that gent! Our worries are mitigated a little for now.
There are two sorts of binary jokes. There is the first sort. And there is the first sort shifted about a bit. Small business accounting downloads Accounts software free downloads UK Invoicing free software SIG LINKS ON HOLD AT PRESENT!