Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 10-05-2010, 07:01 PM

gsic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to price for custom PC building??

Hi there, I build quite a few machines from time to time and I was wondering how everyone charges for a custom spec and built machine.

If for example you had a rig that costs 1500, what would you charge for building and installation?

I'm thinking that charging 10% of the total build cost is fair for both myself and the client. Anymore than that it looks like i'm taking too much and suddenly the pre-built systems are far better value for money to the client.

The way i'm thinking about it is that I have a client for life potentially and that I'll also build good word of mouth about the systems I can build, maintain and service.

I generally don't touch builds under 1k as there's really no point in chasing down deals and speccing lower grade equipment imo, it just leads too more hassle than it's worth and makes me look like amateur hour when things break or don't live upto expectations!

Any ideas?

G
Old 10-05-2010, 07:18 PM

TopLevelComp is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TopLevelComp Send a message via Skype™ to TopLevelComp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsic View Post
Hi there, I build quite a few machines from time to time and I was wondering how everyone charges for a custom spec and built machine.

If for example you had a rig that costs 1500, what would you charge for building and installation?

I'm thinking that charging 10% of the total build cost is fair for both myself and the client. Anymore than that it looks like i'm taking too much and suddenly the pre-built systems are far better value for money to the client.

The way i'm thinking about it is that I have a client for life potentially and that I'll also build good word of mouth about the systems I can build, maintain and service.

I generally don't touch builds under 1k as there's really no point in chasing down deals and speccing lower grade equipment imo, it just leads too more hassle than it's worth and makes me look like amateur hour when things break or don't live upto expectations!

Any ideas?

G
I charge a flat rate. I don't do a percentage, because the lower the cost of the machine, the less profit. I used to charge 300 dollars, but some customers said it was too much. I've found 150 is just right.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Cadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the rough

What I normally do, is cost the prices up, add my gp, which is roughly 25%, for the for building I charge a flat rate of 80.

Then if they want a OS installing etc, that's another 65. So roughly making around 140-150 pr pc. This is irrespective of a 400 or a 1500 pc, its always the same.

Nige
Cadishead Computers
Old 10-05-2010, 08:29 PM

gsic is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadishead Computers View Post
What I normally do, is cost the prices up, add my gp, which is roughly 25%, for the for building I charge a flat rate of 80.

Then if they want a OS installing etc, that's another 65. So roughly making around 140-150 pr pc. This is irrespective of a 400 or a 1500 pc, its always the same.
So i'm pretty close to pricing wise based on that. It takes roughly 3 hours for a complete build, from parts to assembly to OS install, I use USB W7 installs, so its relatively quick and pain free.

I think in a few months once i've settled down to a steady work ethic and I start pulling in more business, i'll leave the rate at 10%, still make my hourly rate and gain new clients and spread some good word about custom built PC's.

i think raising it to 15% once i'm settled in will keep myself and the clients happy and hopefully be able to use word of mouth about customer service and performance as a backbone to creating a new client database for the future!

G