Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 10-05-2010, 04:43 AM

IAMPC is on a distinguished road
Default Laptop Screen Backlight Types...

As we all know, some laptop models can be manufactured with more than one type of backlight.

As far as I know, the only way to determine the backlight type for these type of laptops is to actually pull out the screen and look at the connections.

Is there any other way to find this info without having the laptop in your possession?

Thanks for any feedback...
Old 10-05-2010, 04:45 AM

14049752 has a spectacular aura about14049752 has a spectacular aura about

Do you mean CCFL or LED? Otherwise, the CCFL connections are all the same...at least, I've never come across anything different.

Edit: I think the answer to your question is that it's best to disassemble it and look at the screen. It's not a good idea to try to guess the type of screen based on the model. There are models with different panels, including some that sell with CCFL or LED backlights as options.

Last edited by 14049752; 10-05-2010 at 04:54 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:05 AM

IAMPC is on a distinguished road

Maybe I didn't explain myself right. For example, a customer calls with a cracked screen. he/she gives you the make and model of their laptop. You look it up and you see that it comes with different backlight types.

Is there anyway to know which one the customer has without having to go to customer and look at their laptops in person?
Old 10-05-2010, 07:41 AM

coreyspeed is an unknown quantity at this point

i would never buy a screen with out taking it apart and looking at the number on the back of the screen, as thier are loads of laptops that have serveral compatible screens.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 AM

rhinetech is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rhinetech Send a message via Skype™ to rhinetech

Some laptops (I have found) are easy to identify.

Dell Laptops: get the service tag, go to their support site, go to original configuration tab, find the part number for the LCD.

HP: the part number (not serial) of the laptop can be used to find which parts that were shipped with the system (sometimes).

Of course... nothing is 100% without looking at the system yourself.
CompTIA A+ (2005), Network+ (2010), and Security+ (2010) Certified.

http://www.rhinetech.com
Old 10-05-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMPC View Post
Maybe I didn't explain myself right. For example, a customer calls with a cracked screen. he/she gives you the make and model of their laptop. You look it up and you see that it comes with different backlight types.

I'm not sure how that explains what you're asking any better. The different backlight types would be CCFL or LED....there's no way to easily tell which screen is in the system, because some models have the option for both types. It's generally a bad idea to order a screen based on just the model of the computer, especially when you're dealing with one with different screen options.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:06 PM

meanderer is an unknown quantity at this point

Insist that you must take apart the laptop to find out what the part number you may need.

this came from a different thread about another issue I had.

Sony's VPC models can shut off the LCD backlight if it detects that you switched its board and it must be reset by Sony to return it to normal operation. If you have a Sony VCP models with cracked LCD panel be careful. (that came from the tech who sold me the panel, just some info)
Old 10-05-2010, 09:20 PM

Elemdee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanderer View Post
Insist that you must take apart the laptop to find out what the part number you may need.

Sony's VPC models can shut off the LCD backlight if it detects that you switched its board and it must be reset by Sony to return it to normal operation. If you have a Sony VCP models with cracked LCD panel be careful. (that came from the tech who sold me the panel, just some info)
Yeah and guess what? I got a Sony vaio in today with a cracked screen... =P
Old 10-05-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanderer View Post

I'm a bit dubious of that. Switched which board? The inverter? The motherboard? I don't think that guy knew what he was talking about.

Edit: Yes, even more dubious. I just talked to a buddy at a Sony authorized repair center. He says there's no such thing, to his (quite extensive) knowledge.

Last edited by 14049752; 10-05-2010 at 10:21 PM.