Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 10-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about
Default Certifications

I didn't want to hijack the A+ thread so I thought i would start a new one

I haven't bothered with exam certifications since I did my ccna back in 2000. That expired in 2003. Reading the thread about A+ got me thinking about it and someone posted an test exam thread so I took the exam and passed with 81% first go Anyway I started reading about the exam and(you may or may not know about this) found that Network+ certification is for life providing you have it before Jan 2011 after that it needs recertifying every three years. This also applies to A+ & Security+. Soo you may see last minute rush to take exams.Apologies if it has been posted before, I haven't seen it in the time I have been a member.

Shall I take it or not?

Read more here.

http://www.comptia.org/certification...d/renewal.aspx
Old 10-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Cadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the rough

This is my own view on this Martyn. If you are working on soho clients, and home clients, and to a certain extent sml bus clients, then no, I wouldn't go for this, nor any other cert. All they seem to care about, is that you can do the job.

If you were in the marketplace, looking for a full time IT job, then, yes I would go for them, as it would add to your credibility, your CV etc.

The only good thing I can see from being A+,N+ cert'd, is on ads. Yellow pages etc, by having the logo on your ad, clients can see that you care about your work, and value the honesty so to speak.

In saying that, I have recently started adding 2 other logo's. One for the FSB, and the MCP. Being a member of the FSB now for a couple of years, I have found their advice invaluable. I have had a few calls off local businesses, who have seen the FSB logo, as they are members of it too.

Re the Security+, I am thinking of looking into the course, not to take the exam, but to see whats actually involved, and if it will add anything to my business.

I took a A+ course, around 6 years ago, passed the coursework, and mock exam with flying colours, but haven't actually taken the comptiia exam.

I also took the N+ course at the same time, but then found it really difficult, and didn't pursue it further. I stopped at the 4th module. Fast forward to today, and with using networks on a daily basis, as part of 'our' setup, its like everything, it all comes back to you, and if needed I probably could pick it up, and complete the course, and do the exams, but again I don't think its needed for our clients. IE those, who have a couple of desktops, and a laptop, and want them all networked together..

Just my 2p

Nige
Cadishead Computers
Old 10-01-2010, 11:49 AM

CD Computer Services is an unknown quantity at this point

The only problem I have with CompTIA A+ exam is that rote learners excel at it.You need hands-on training to make it useful.A+ certification is basic;however,it's useful for computer technicians.

https://www.facebook.com/cdcomputerservices
http://www.bytevista.com
Computer Repair,Data Recovery and Network Engineering
Old 10-01-2010, 12:19 PM

TLE is on a distinguished road

I took the A+ back in May or June, I couldn't believe how incredibly basic and easy it was. It doesn't prove anything other than basic knowledge. I managed to get 100% in both exams. It still looks good to have on your website though, although to be fair, most people here in the UK don't know what CompTia is, or in fact have ever heard of it. I plan to sit the Network+ before the end of the year if time allows, as I have just taken 70-680, and am about to sit 70-685(not looking forward too).

I say go for it, if it gives you somthing over your competition.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:19 PM

lgtechcomputers is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadishead Computers View Post
This is my own view on this Martyn. If you are working on soho clients, and home clients, and to a certain extent sml bus clients, then no, I wouldn't go for this, nor any other cert. All they seem to care about, is that you can do the job.

If you were in the marketplace, looking for a full time IT job, then, yes I would go for them, as it would add to your credibility, your CV etc.

The only good thing I can see from being A+,N+ cert'd, is on ads. Yellow pages etc, by having the logo on your ad, clients can see that you care about your work, and value the honesty so to speak.

In saying that, I have recently started adding 2 other logo's. One for the FSB, and the MCP. Being a member of the FSB now for a couple of years, I have found their advice invaluable. I have had a few calls off local businesses, who have seen the FSB logo, as they are members of it too.

Re the Security+, I am thinking of looking into the course, not to take the exam, but to see whats actually involved, and if it will add anything to my business.

I took a A+ course, around 6 years ago, passed the coursework, and mock exam with flying colours, but haven't actually taken the comptiia exam.

I also took the N+ course at the same time, but then found it really difficult, and didn't pursue it further. I stopped at the 4th module. Fast forward to today, and with using networks on a daily basis, as part of 'our' setup, its like everything, it all comes back to you, and if needed I probably could pick it up, and complete the course, and do the exams, but again I don't think its needed for our clients. IE those, who have a couple of desktops, and a laptop, and want them all networked together..

Just my 2p
Forgive my ignorance but what does the FSB stand for? I am sure it is not Front Side Bus. or is it Fortune Small business?
MCP, Security+, Project+, Network+, A+, CIW Professional, CNST, CST, MOS
Old 10-01-2010, 02:28 PM

4ycr has a spectacular aura about4ycr has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to 4ycr

@Cadishead Computers glad you mentioned the FSB as I just joined today. I have been a member of the local chamber of commerce but not got much out of it as they have been teaming up with groups too far away for me.

I just need to add it to my website now.

I currently show my MCSA, My Cisco select partner and ACRBO logos encase they help me stand out from anyone local.

A few years ago I got hold of a A+ book but it went on about ISA slots and at the time I was building servers for SUN and I was lucky to even see a standard PCI slot so I thought it was too outdated to be of any use. So I gave up, is it still the same or have they updated it?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Cadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgtechcomputers View Post
Forgive my ignorance but what does the FSB stand for? I am sure it is not Front Side Bus. or is it Fortune Small business?
Its the Federation of Small Businesses.

A group of companies, situated around the country, decided to set up together, to help, and aid other small companies, with what ever issues they have.

It doesnt matter, if its help with the Tax man, with a full investigation, or Human Resource issues, and everything else inbetween. They help out, and once you have paid your membership fee, everything else is foc.

They also offer things, like help with free banking, health insurance..

Nige
Cadishead Computers
Old 10-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ycr View Post
A few years ago I got hold of a A+ book but it went on about ISA slots and at the time I was building servers for SUN and I was lucky to even see a standard PCI slot so I thought it was too outdated to be of any use. So I gave up, is it still the same or have they updated it?
When I was studying it, it was everything from ISA slots upwards. On the software side of things of paramount importance was win 2k. You had to learn everything from DOS upto WIN ME. Win 2k, was the in thing - hence why everyone had to learn it. At the end of the course was a small booklet on XP.

ps, nice one on the FSB. I've been a member now for 3 years.

Nige
Cadishead Computers
Old 10-01-2010, 05:49 PM

lgtechcomputers is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadishead Computers View Post
Its the Federation of Small Businesses.

A group of companies, situated around the country, decided to set up together, to help, and aid other small companies, with what ever issues they have.

It doesnt matter, if its help with the Tax man, with a full investigation, or Human Resource issues, and everything else inbetween. They help out, and once you have paid your membership fee, everything else is foc.

They also offer things, like help with free banking, health insurance..
Thanks for the clarification. I will need to look into it.
MCP, Security+, Project+, Network+, A+, CIW Professional, CNST, CST, MOS
Old 10-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgtechcomputers View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I will need to look into it.
No worries LG, but unless im mistaken, they only deal with UK companies. Or companies based in the UK.

Nige
Cadishead Computers