Go Back   Technibble Forums > Site Stuff > Site Issues, Requests and Suggestions

Technibble Sponsor

Old 08-29-2010, 01:38 PM

Eddie can only hope to improve
Default More moderators

Nothing wrong with the current crew but I think there's a need for an extra body or two to join your moderation team. There seems to be an increasing level of accusations and bitchiness around the forums when people should be simply using the report post function.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

Yes I think an extra mod or two mainly because of the different time zones. I agree about the bitcheness, don't bite just report
Old 08-30-2010, 01:28 PM

0ldfart is an unknown quantity at this point

its been commented on in other threads also. The recent 'should I bring a gun to work" thread, and the subsequent "should gun threads be banned" thread.

To me its bleedingly obvious. The Forum is full of bitching and squabbling.

Nothing has occurred and the Usual Suspects continue to troll and abuse other members.

Its pretty obvious no one here gives a crap.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:47 PM

MrUnknown is on a distinguished road

I don't believe the moderators want to take the role of Mommy and baby any discussion on here that may not be what everyone likes or specific responses that not everyone likes. They shouldn't have to. Someone is going to post something you don't like, get over it. Someone on here will insult you, get over it.

Just because they don't step in every conversation that someone thinks they should, doesn't mean they don't give a crap, and to imply that is rather ignorant.

While I do feel that there should be one or two more moderators, not for timezone reasons, but just to have better coverage in general, I also feel the moderators step in, for the most part, only when it is appropriate.

Immediately closing threads or banning members that might start a fight will only result in threads about how the moderators are overlords and don't care about freedom of speech as it has in the past.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:51 PM

Corbin is on a distinguished road

The thing with more moderators you can have one go rouge, I think it is ran perfect, I do see both the Admin post almost daily. If you just ignore the Flamers or the Trolls and avoid posting or commenting towards them they will go away.

I have ran forums and picked up the wrong people to be a mod and not know tell they went crazy with power.

I look at Technibbe, like the Star Wars universe. The Sith have a "Rule of 2" One with the power and One who wants the power, this keeps them from dieing off. And not loosing who will be in charge.

Last edited by Corbin; 08-30-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:56 PM

0ldfart is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUnknown View Post
Just because they don't step in every conversation that someone thinks they should, doesn't mean they don't give a crap, and to imply that is rather ignorant.
Actually its a statement of fact, not an indication of some deficit of knowledge.

Clearly if there are personal insults being thrown about and the mods do nothing, that's not giving a crap.

And no, no ones inferring that its the role of moderators to play mommy. Thats a ridiculous assertion. I could call it ignorant but that's not the sort of conversational style I utilise, personally

This is a technical forum. The reason people participate is, generally speaking, for access to information

Theres absolutely nothing informative gained from reading through screeds of petty squabbling. Its just dross. Plain and simple.

In most forums there are some limited controls about keeping threads 'on topic'. The reason for this is because it reduces the amount of space-wasting garbage and unwanted content. These controls are usually applied by moderators.

If someone posts a question (going back to Dark's thread about carrying a gun to work just because its a good recent example of what happens when mods dont do their job and let certain participants rant off topic and derail what could otherwise have been a useful discussion), its because he wants information. The thread was effectively wrecked and eventually closed because it went completely off the subject he was asking about. I have no doubt the mods would have been notified well before it was eventually closed. Nothing was done, and the result was completely unhelpful to most of the participants.

If someone is browsing the threads here looking for information on this topic, they probably want to have to sift through a bunch of crap to get the information they need. (I dont see how anyone would. Researching some issues can be time-consuming enough without having additional dead-ends created by dud threads that have curtailed prematurely because some idiot was allowed to get in and start abusing people causing the conversation to shut down).

Its just unnecessary, useless verbiage that has nothing to do with the topic. Hence 'off topic'.

The culture Here is that whatever troll wants to step in and de-rail the discussion by baiting, making personal remarks, ranting, can freely do so. The result is many conversations that could otherwise have been useful and could have made for interesting reference for anyone doing research on a given repair topic are rendered useless.

It doesnt take a brain surgeon to browse through the recent content here and see that the above is far from an isolated example.

This is a moderation issue. Call that maternalistic if you like. I call it a matter of practicality.

Last edited by 0ldfart; 08-30-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:18 PM

ProTech Support is on the way

As someone mentioned above, as moderators we really try to avoid getting in between every single squabble that happens between members. I think we can all agree that if I were to personally start deleting, closing, banning, members/threads because of a disagreement between two people; nobody would like it.

If you have been around for awhile, you will recall around a year ago when we moderated more strictly. The community's response to that....we were censoring peoples opinions and running this website like "nazi's".

With all of the being said, I have personally noticed an increase in "disagreements" around the forums. These things are not going un-noticed. Bryce and myself have been discussing the issue. We are working on something to fix this, but I will not get into details until Bryce is ready.

The moral of my post is that there is a very fine line when we moderate. If we go too hard, members get upset. If we go too soft, members get upset. We are just trying to do what is best for the community.

Technibble is a place for professionals, so lets keep it professional.

ProTech Hosting - Website Hosting, Domain Registration, & Internet Services!

Special discount on website hosting for TechNibble members, send me a message for more information!
Old 08-30-2010, 02:47 PM

Blues is on a distinguished road

What I have seen is a snowball effect in many of these threads. It begins fine and stays mostly on track for 2 maybe 3 pages but toward the end of the third and the beginning of the 4th its been derailed and each side is getting rather hot. No amount of moderating can stop this really most these threads are getting locked at about the right time. The mods time is volunteered so thing may not be seen and dealt with immediately but generally are handled in a timely manner.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Cadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the rough

I agree there is a finite line, which all Mods, need to tread. By doing this to A, your upsetting B, for some reason.

I also agree, that there should be one other Mod at least, due to the major time differences.

Also with regard to the petty squabbles happening, with more frequency, all I can say to that is, we are ALL supposed to be adults here, ALL of us, running, or attempting to run a PC repair business; in which case forgo the squabble, do not get involved in it, if you see something which is detrimental to either the thread, or the forum report the post (and poster). To continue, or jump in with your own observations, and views only adds to the flaming going on, and in no way helps the thread and or the OP.

There are some members, who I can class as a friend, even though I have only been here for a few short months. I value their posts, knowledge and opinions.

Yes I have been building and repairing computers, for over 10 years, and in business for 6, but I do not know everything. If I feel I have something constructive to offer the thread I will post. Else I will leave alone, read, digest and file details.

There are also some members, who I admire, for their knowledge, but not for their flaming. In this case, I simply do not say anything in the thread, but if I feel the need to report, I do. Then it is up to the Mods to decide, what if anything should happen.

Just my 2p on this fine Bank Holiday Monday. What the hell am I doing working today lol..

Nige
Cadishead Computers
Old 08-30-2010, 03:00 PM

Elemdee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadishead Computers View Post
Just my 2p on this fine Bank Holiday Monday. What the hell am I doing working today lol..
Wow I'm glad you said that! You saved me the aggravation of calling over there today to try to fix a magazine mixup...I ordered 2 issues of PCPlus and recieved 1 issue of PhotoPlus instead. Now I can put that off until tomorrow.

Back on topic: Although I hate the squabbles, it mostly bothers me when the spammers come on and do their intro posts, but that seems to have died down for the time being.