Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Apple Macintosh

Technibble Sponsor

Old 08-23-2010, 09:12 AM

jazz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default chkdsk ntfs on mac osx ??

Hi Guys,

i'm a recent convert to MAC and just toying with OS with the intent of using it so i can in future support my clients using the operating system.

I installed Windows 7 w/ bootcamp.. it was all running fine till the battery ran out. I tried restarting after that and it would always get stuck at the grey screen of death.

I've tried the DiskAID to see what the issue was and it seems that the MFT has been flagged dirty as a result of an improper shutdown. On a PC it would be simple as all i'd have to do is boot from a cd and run the chkdsk on the ntfs volume to get it all working again. How do i do that on a MBP 2010 ??

Any ideas appreciated, as i dont wish to reformat and reinstall as that would defeat the idea of getting to learn how to go around troubleshooting issues like these

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:29 PM

CD Computer Services is an unknown quantity at this point
Default chkdsk ntfs on mac osx

The Mac equivalent of CHKDSK is "fsck".I would be cautious when using it on Max OS X 10.2 or later.I would rather boot into Safe Mode (for automatic check and repair of the volume) or use Disk Utility.

https://www.facebook.com/bytevista
http://www.bytevista.com
Computer Repair,Data Recovery and Network Engineering
Old 08-23-2010, 04:45 PM

silvano is on the way
Send a message via Yahoo to silvano

couple utilities that come to mind:
DiscWarrior (fixes 75% of the problems I come across on a Mac that are software/harddrive/filesystem/permissions related) [Commercial]
Built-in Disk Utility which can be ran by booting off the OSX install CD and clicking the utilities menu.
ONYX lets you do that as well.
Follow Geek Easy Computers on Facebook or Twitter also.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:21 PM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvano View Post
couple utilities that come to mind:
DiscWarrior (fixes 75% of the problems I come across on a Mac that are software/harddrive/filesystem/permissions related) [Commercial]
Built-in Disk Utility which can be ran by booting off the OSX install CD and clicking the utilities menu.
ONYX lets you do that as well.
Try a disk utility/repair first or fsck. If disk utility won't fix it, DiskWarrior will do it. If DiskWarrior won't do it, than either the drives possibly bad or else you'll need an OS reinstall. Your OEM installers will have Apple Hardware Test included if you want to run hardware diags on the machine. Just start with the disk inserted while holding the "D" key.

EDIT: Just paid closer attention to the original post. Disk Utility or DiskWarrior aren't going to touch the NTFS partition. Can the machine still boot OSX?

Last edited by anonymous Mac Tech; 08-23-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:33 PM

silvano is on the way
Send a message via Yahoo to silvano

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous Mac Tech View Post
Try a disk utility/repair first or fsck. If disk utility won't fix it, DiskWarrior will do it. If DiskWarrior won't do it, than either the drives possibly bad or else you'll need an OS reinstall. Your OEM installers will have Apple Hardware Test included if you want to run hardware diags on the machine. Just start with the disk inserted while holding the "D" key.

EDIT: Just paid closer attention to the original post. Disk Utility or DiskWarrior aren't going to touch the NTFS partition. Can the machine still boot OSX?
Missed that too. Would a windows disk and repair mode/cmd prompt do it on a mac?
Follow Geek Easy Computers on Facebook or Twitter also.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:17 PM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvano View Post
Missed that too. Would a windows disk and repair mode/cmd prompt do it on a mac?
Really no way to get to a command prompt besides terminal but that's all Unix/FreeBSD, unless there is a Unix command for checking/repairing NTFS volumes? If UBCD4W has a way to do a chkdsk I'd go with that, because that should boot the machine.