Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 08-04-2010, 04:16 PM

Ender07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Ender07
Question Video card/Freezing Issues

I have an older (5 years) computer at my house I was fixing up for a friend and she was experiencing freezing of her desktop as soon as she logged onto the computer. I was able to duplicate the problem and started to look inside the box for a hardware issue.

On her graphics card she had 2 blown capacitors and another 2 distended ones but she didn't have enough money to buy a new one so I told her she could get it repaired for about $30 at a local store here in town.

Anyways she got it repaired and then when she brought it home it wouldnt start at all. Turns out the technician hit the RAM and unseated it so the computer wouldnt start, with that back in place it worked fine again.

So as I was cleaning up her computer after about 15-20 minutes it freezes on whatever I am doing. I was thinking it was a heat issue but I rebooted and ran it with the cover off and made sure all the fans worked and it all checked out. I did realize she got the blown capacitors replaced but not the distended ones, I was curious if that would be the main problem or if anyone else had any other ideas.

I appreciate any feedback, thanks in advance!
Old 08-04-2010, 04:31 PM

loaner is an unknown quantity at this point

you should test with known working vid card...try yours or borrow one...

did the repair person have any kind of warranty...i would try to re-coup my money and just get another card.

tigerdirect is lousy with vid cards below 40 bucks.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...l=Price;Price2

...goss

Last edited by loaner; 08-04-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:38 PM

Ender07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Ender07

The annoying thing is that its an AGP card and I have a PCI-E and I don't have any older AGP ones.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:26 PM

ijunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender07 View Post
The annoying thing is that its an AGP card and I have a PCI-E and I don't have any older AGP ones.
I don't know what you are looking for, new Or used, but You can find them cheap on ebay. Its always a good idea to have one to test with I have extra agp and pci cards. I looked on ebay and found quite a few under $10 US dollars shipped.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:07 AM

drewster is an unknown quantity at this point

Did someone actually have their capacitors replaced on an old AGP video card? A used video card HAS to be vastly cheaper and easier than this. I'm a little dumbfounded that someone actually went to that level of effort.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:15 AM

BeyondReality is an unknown quantity at this point

to be completely honest with you it sounds like you got taken. No computer technician would ever try and replace the caps on a video card. Its not to say that they couldnt but a honest one never would because you are going to pay the same price for a new bare bones card than you would to fix that old one. Only difference is the technician is pocketing the money instead of it going to a part.

After those caps blew you have no idea how much damage could have been caused to the card. You need to get the blown ones and the bloated ones all replaced.