Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about
Default machine under warranty

I just had a call from a lady whose laptop had a drink knocked over into it the weekend. It has dried out now. She has no display and I suggested she tried an external monitor to see if the rest of it was functioning. I also said she may be able to claim on her house insurance and also said the machine is under warranty although clearly not for this type of event. My question is if I repair the machine what happens to the warranty for the rest of the period of cover?
Old 07-08-2010, 01:11 PM

e2346437 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends on the manufacturer, but in most cases, if you aren't certified to do the warranty repair by the manufacturer the warranty is void.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Administrator

So to clarify, no matter what happens to the laptop if it is under warranty the work must be done by certified person of that company? If the person still wants you to go ahead with it, would you? with a disclaimer maybe?
Old 07-08-2010, 02:01 PM

MrUnknown is on a distinguished road

The thing is, the manufacturer will probably blame any problem in the future on this spill. So really, their warranty is already gone.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:17 PM

Snazzy PC Repairs is an unknown quantity at this point

Once you do any invasive work on it, the warranty is probably null and void.

It's obviously been a significant liquid spill for the display to stop working. Even though she says it has dried out, more than likely the components on the motherboard are corroding away right now, so it could be new motherboard time.

A claim on the household insurance could be the best route, with you getting some work out of doing a data backup for her.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:30 PM

Mushin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUnknown View Post
The thing is, the manufacturer will probably blame any problem in the future on this spill. So really, their warranty is already gone.
+ 1 to this. ANY sign of liquid damage an no more Warranty.

If you work on it have her sign off on the fact that

1.) The Manufacturer may deny and future warranty work.
2.) that she fully understands the extend of your warranty.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:37 PM

14049752 has a spectacular aura about14049752 has a spectacular aura about

Our terms say this:

"You affirm that you are aware that authorizing XXXXXX to work on your computer may void the manufacturer's warranty. In addition, while every effort will be made by XXXXXXX to be aware of warranty conditions, you are soley responsible for knowing and understanding what is covered by any warranties on your computer. Parts and labor on a system that is later discovered to have been covered by a manufacturer's warranty is non-refundable."

It doesn't exactly cover the case of a future warranty like you're asking, but it is kind of a blanket statement that says that it's up to the customer to understand their own warranty and any issues that may arise from you doing any service.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14049752 View Post
Our terms say this:

"You affirm that you are aware that authorizing XXXXXX to work on your computer may void the manufacturer's warranty. In addition, while every effort will be made by XXXXXXX to be aware of warranty conditions, you are soley responsible for knowing and understanding what is covered by any warranties on your computer. Parts and labor on a system that is later discovered to have been covered by a manufacturer's warranty is non-refundable."

It doesn't exactly cover the case of a future warranty like you're asking, but it is kind of a blanket statement that says that it's up to the customer to understand their own warranty and any issues that may arise from you doing any service.
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:14 PM

Mushin is an unknown quantity at this point

You may want to specificly state something on the work order that they sign off on. This will cover you just in case. the reason being... some liquid damage problems will "go away" after they dry up but will reappear when corrosion occurs.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:42 AM

RegEdit is on a distinguished road

Whether or not the PC is under warranty or any extended warranty is one of the initial questions I always ask people. I tell them to call the manufacturer if it's still under warranty. On my invoices it says that I don't do warranty repair. The rest is up to the customer to decide.