Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-22-2010, 10:01 PM

TechGuy71 is on a distinguished road
Question Computer clock losing time...?

Well this is one I haven't seen before.

I have a computer in that wont keep the correct time. It's not like it's resetting the time when I shut off the computer like a bad CMOS... it's when the computer is running! It just seems to lose time - a few minutes, an hour, and hour and a half - while it's just sitting there.

I've been scouring Google and it seems many have had this problem (heck, I've never heard of it) but no one seems to have a solution.

Just for kicks I did try a different CMOS battery, tried turning the Internet Time on and off (it syncs to the correct time, but then later isn't), the Time Zone is correct, tried daylight savings on and off, checked/changed the BIOS time.. nothing seems to make a difference.

Any ideas?
Old 06-22-2010, 10:19 PM

vdub12 is on a distinguished road

I have a media center 2005 PC that had been doing that for years. I use a program called atomic time sync It works well.

My problem showed up when my recordings would go off by about 5 minutes a day. I never was able to solve the problem. I finally diagnosed it as a problem with the motherboard. I have reloaded the OS, flashed the BIOS, etc. For the record this motherboard has multiple popped caps. That might have something to do with it. Who knows. But the workaround that I have been using for closed to 4 or 5 years is to just use atomic time sync.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:22 PM

Xander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the rough

I've always favoured a sweet 6kb program called Neutron:
http://keir.net/neutron.html

New here? Watch this and read this. Remember, it's not our problem, it's yours so ask your questions well.
e.g. Make/Model#, Win version/SP#, BSOD 0x#. Consider posting Event Viewer logs, Autoruns exports or Speccy reports.
More info means better answers and less snark.

Don't be parasitic and only pose your own questions. Help others.

D7 question/idea/etc? Bring it to the D7 Forums.