Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Guides, Tips and Tricks

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-01-2010, 09:51 PM

hyfidel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to hyfidel
Default Windows Activation "Workaround" (OEM/Retail/Branded)

Ever have problems activating Windows on a fresh reinstall?

I have found that using the online Windows Activation at http://www.microsoft.com/genuine will allow you to activate a fresh install of Windows that doesn't match with the license key you have on the sticker of the case.

I have tested this 3 times now with success. Today I used an XP SP3 Retail CD to reinstall windows, and activated with an OEM HP license key. The built in XP activation wizard would not work, but the online version let me activate.

Hope this saves someone some time!
Old 06-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Banned

iptech is on the way

That's validation, not activation.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:20 PM

NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light

hmmm.. we need clarification on this thread.
Asking for help ? If the make and model of your computer OR the O/S info is left off your post, I probably will not help you. It gets real old, real quick for me to have to ask for basic info just to help people.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:21 PM

Alan22 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a difference between Activation and Validation. The link you provided is for Validation, not Activation. In 30 days you may be asked to Activate.

In any case, what you did is illegal. It violates the license agreement you accepted when installing Windows.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:24 PM

Alan22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a Vista Activation FAQ. I'd imagine it's the same for XP or 7.

Windows Vista Activation FAQ
Old 06-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Banned

iptech is on the way

Windows Product Activation (WPA) ties your product key (and thus your Product ID, or PID) to your computer by creating an installation ID. The installation ID is made up of your PID and a PC identifier, called a hardware ID, or HWID. The installation ID is sent to a Microsoft license clearing-house, which checks that Microsoft manufactured that PID and that the PID has not been used to install the operating system on more hardware than is defined by the product's End User License Agreement (EULA).

Validation checks the key used to install Windows software when you log onto Microsoft web sites to download non-critical product updates or add-ons.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:29 AM

vontreigo is on a distinguished road

I have a dell (dead desktop with win7pro key) version of windows7 running on my asus laptop... had to call ms for activation but was a success. =)
Old 06-02-2010, 02:33 AM

ajc196 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no troubles with XP not activating anymore, since I have original OEMs for every version possible, and I just update those with nLite as needed.

Here's a tip for Vista: Install WITHOUT entering a product key, and just choose the version on the COA. Then once you're in Windows and online, hit "change product key" in the System info window. Enter your key, and TADA. I promise a 100% online activation success rate if you do that with a valid key. I haven't called in for Vista in over a year.

But with 7, I dunno. The above Vista trick doesn't apply to 7, and I've yet to find the magic combination of presses to make 7 activate online every time... still working on it though!
Old 06-02-2010, 03:28 AM

vdub12 is on a distinguished road

I have problems with Windows XP activation all the time but when i call its always no questions asked. What i wonder is whats the point of activation if all you have to do is call and they will activate it. I kind of miss the win98 days when you just installed and that was it. Product activation sucks because all it does is makes our jobs harder, it does not slow down or stop the people pirating windows.

The time that it takes to call Microsoft every time something needs to be activated is incredible. There are some systems I need to call twice. Once for Windows then again for office.

Last edited by vdub12; 06-02-2010 at 03:30 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:42 PM

hyfidel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to hyfidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan22 View Post
There is a difference between Activation and Validation. The link you provided is for Validation, not Activation. In 30 days you may be asked to Activate.

In any case, what you did is illegal. It violates the license agreement you accepted when installing Windows.
There may be slight difference depending on the OS, but in XP, validation = activation. Once you validate online, running the activation wizard results in a windows saying you are already validated.

I don't see the problem since I used to call MS to do the same thing (using a retail disc to install an OEM key), and they would verbally provide me with with an activation code.

I would be curious to know if any techs refuse to reinstall or repair Windows if a customer doesn't have their original Windows disc available, since doing this would go against the license agreement.