Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Apple Macintosh

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-28-2010, 05:56 PM

nj_computer_repair is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 5 Point Star Screwdriver For 2010 Unibody MBP Battery Removal

Does anyone know where to find a 5 point screwdriver for 2010 MBP battery removal? The older unibodys used tri-wing screws but this 2010 that just came in does not have the tri-wing configuration. It really looks like a torx but none of my torx drivers fit. After further inspection, there are only 5 sides. I got the screws out with a little creativity but for the future, I would like the correct tool.

Apple is playing tricks on me!

Apple Repair | Laptop Screen Replacement | Data Recovery
Old 05-28-2010, 06:07 PM

NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light

You have to look for something like a "five-pointed star", "tamper Resistant star bit set", "star driver set", "five-pointer" or as it's known in the Goth PC repair realm: "His Unholy Darkness Pentagram Driver Tool"

But seriously, the 5 pointer is available but its the size that matters.
Asking for help ? If the make and model of your computer OR the O/S info is left off your post, I probably will not help you. It gets real old, real quick for me to have to ask for basic info just to help people.

Last edited by NYJimbo; 05-28-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:14 PM

dracken is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to dracken

http://www.pbparts.com/shop.php/9229101
Old 05-28-2010, 06:18 PM

NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracken View Post
Hmmm....TORX = 6 point star. Do you own this set?. Just want to be sure its really 5-point.

PS- Nevermind. I see this site is focused on MAC stuff, so its got to be 5-point.
Asking for help ? If the make and model of your computer OR the O/S info is left off your post, I probably will not help you. It gets real old, real quick for me to have to ask for basic info just to help people.

Last edited by NYJimbo; 05-28-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:36 PM

Yes I did buy this one a while back. This one does work to remove the battery screws. It is torx 6 size but 5 points.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:43 PM

PcTek9 has a spectacular aura aboutPcTek9 has a spectacular aura about

This place called harborfreight.com has tons of tools for all kinds of things.

This security bit set for $7.99 is a steal. The bits are good steel, I bought this, and the bits have not broken, twisted, or even had the points marred up yet. I use it for gunsmithing and the occasional security console entry. Anyway. I was thought it might be so cheap as to be worthless, but this is one of those rare products that is made well at low cost.

http://www.harborfreight.com/100-pie...set-91310.html

I know this is not Snap On, Blue Point, Mac, Bonny, Sioux, Proto, Westward, Craftsman, or Gray. But I use them all the time, and never broke a bit yet.

Further more, I never could find a 100 bit security set made by the big guys.

Look at the bright side if you ever do break one, it was $7.99 for the whole kit. Quite frankly I have broken tools made by the big guys, so to me it's silly to argue the whole "it's to cheap for me to use" vector.

* on good tools, everybody puts special hardeners in their steel, chrome is used to make the steel hard. To much, and it's brittle, to little and it's soft. So either way you look at it, any steel manufacturer can have a good or bad batch of tools. Although brand names do have generally better quality control, technology in the steel industry regarding technique and production manufacturing are ever increasingly shared across the board through industry medium.

Last edited by PcTek9; 05-28-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcTek9 View Post
This place called harborfreight.com has tons of tools for all kinds of things.

This security bit set for $7.99 is a steal. The bits are good steel, I bought this, and the bits have not broken, twisted, or even had the points marred up yet. I use it for gunsmithing and the occasional security console entry. Anyway. I was thought it might be so cheap as to be worthless, but this is one of those rare products that is made well at low cost.

http://www.harborfreight.com/100-pie...set-91310.html

I know this is not Snap On, Blue Point, Mac, Bonny, Sioux, Proto, Westward, Craftsman, or Gray. But I use them all the time, and never broke a bit yet.

Further more, I never could find a 100 bit security set made by the big guys.
Yeah unfortunately a standard security set does not have the right size bit for this.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:55 PM

nj_computer_repair is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJimbo View Post
it's known in the Goth PC repair realm: "His Unholy Darkness Pentagram Driver Tool"
I looked for his unholy tool but apparently he doesn't want me to find it lol

I also see a few 5 pointers but didn't want to start ordering random drivers that will not fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracken View Post
Yes I did buy this one a while back. This one does work to remove the battery screws. It is torx 6 size but 5 points.
Thanks dracken, I will have to get this one.

Apple Repair | Laptop Screen Replacement | Data Recovery

Last edited by nj_computer_repair; 05-28-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:05 AM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

I had to buy 3 of them from Apple at $25 a pop when the unibody MBPs came out. Its nice to see a 3rd party is supplying them now. You can get a torx T6 to work in a pinch but it scratches off the black paint on the screws.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous Mac Tech View Post
I had to buy 3 of them from Apple at $25 a pop when the unibody MBPs came out. Its nice to see a 3rd party is supplying them now. You can get a torx T6 to work in a pinch but it scratches off the black paint on the screws.
We bought one at the Apple price as well before finding these. I just hope Apple doesn't switch to a different type again, gets expensive to buy specialty tools.

Tags
5 point star, battery removal, screwdriver, tri-wing, unibody macbook