Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-19-2010, 01:08 AM

keeperofthecode is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do you hire techs?

I currently have 4 employees. They all get the job doen but I really need another me. A tech that doesn't run to the boss when a challenge comes up. My techs are good at basic PC work but don't cut the mustard when it comes to business systems or when something odd or rare comes in. I have tried and tried to get a GOOD tech on the payroll but fail every time. I even have one tech that has the potential but he'd rather spend his days sitting in the office removing viruses. I offered him a good raise to motivate him into stepping up but he said he'd rather not. it seems so strange to me that he wouldn't want to advance. So my questions are....

1. How/Where do you advertise for new techs?
2. How much do you pay your basic techs?
3. How much do you pay your super techs?

I spend my day going business to business and every once in a while I get to swing into the office and work on the problem childs. I love challenging work but I've been doing this for years now and I feel that the only thing restraing my bussiness from growing is the fact that there is only one of me. I know some of you might not want to give out this info which I understand but I guess I'm just grasping for straws.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:28 AM

RogueTech is an unknown quantity at this point

I think people might be hesitant to state what they pay their technicians or what technicians are making. However I can tell you, that I pay my 'super techs' quite a bit more (let's say >20%) than my basics.

As far as advertising, I would suggest Craigs List, online resources/websites, asking around forums and even the local newspaper. As with any online medium I'm sure you'll get plenty of 'false positives' for tech applications so be weary.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:15 AM

lassenpc is an unknown quantity at this point

Word of mouth throughout the business community that I'm looking for another 'me' (and it works!)

Basic bench techs $10.25 to start, + PTO and Paid training
Ubber Techs $15-25 DOE, ones that can go out to the other businesses and get the job done. + PTO and Paid training
Old 05-19-2010, 01:34 PM

sgarrand is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassenpc View Post
Word of mouth throughout the business community that I'm looking for another 'me' (and it works!)

Basic bench techs $10.25 to start, + PTO and Paid training
Ubber Techs $15-25 DOE, ones that can go out to the other businesses and get the job done. + PTO and Paid training
Isn't cost of living pretty high in CA? I hear Mickey D's pays $9-$10 an hour out there. It's amazing how low wages have gone. People want degrees and years of experience but pay very little.

Scott
Old 05-19-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarrand View Post
Isn't cost of living pretty high in CA? I hear Mickey D's pays $9-$10 an hour out there. It's amazing how low wages have gone. People want degrees and years of experience but pay very little.

Scott
I was thinking same thing. I've been trying to figure what those wages in CA would be in TX. Mickey D's pays 7.25 to 8.00 here. My office assistant makes 7.75 here.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:06 PM

sgarrand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paying Mickey D's wages.

My only issue with paying wages similar to fast food workers is that employers shouldn't expect much more expertise than any other entry level worker being paid the same. With the economy being what it is, supply of workers is greater than demand so employers can ask the world and pay hardly nothing.

I laugh when I see an ad asking for a 4 year degree, 2 years of experience and pay of $10 an hour. Why not just ask them to work for free and demand a doctorate and 10 years of experience? How far can it go?

Scott
Old 05-19-2010, 02:15 PM

edmar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hire me instead, seriously.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:45 PM

Holzster is on a distinguished road

I pay more than the other Companies around me but I get the GOOD Tech's that way that stay with me.
I do the below.

1. All Tech's are Temps for 90 days then hire on if they are OK
2. I hire an investigator to do background checks on all employees - the investigators find more stuff than the online services (call me if you need one he can do it remotely, & very reasonable)
3. All employees go through the US HIPAA training
4. All employees sit at the front desk at the shop for at least 3 days so they know how it works & how to talk to the customers.
5. I do not care about degrees or certifications as I interview them & it is all about that!!

I am sure I am missing stuff but...

High Tech Redneck
www.HTRedneck.com
Old 05-19-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holzster View Post
I pay more than the other Companies around me but I get the GOOD Tech's that way that stay with me.
I do the below.

1. All Tech's are Temps for 90 days then hire on if they are OK
2. I hire an investigator to do background checks on all employees - the investigators find more stuff than the online services (call me if you need one he can do it remotely, & very reasonable)
3. All employees go through the US HIPAA training
4. All employees sit at the front desk at the shop for at least 3 days so they know how it works & how to talk to the customers.
5. I do not care about degrees or certifications as I interview them & it is all about that!!

I am sure I am missing stuff but...
I laughed so hard when I saw the name High Tech Redneck. That is crazy funny. I'm in Texas also and I'm jealous I didn't think of it first.

My lowest paid tech is 9.50 and my highest paid tech is salary but it works out to about 15.00. Apparently I'm a tightwod. I would be willing to pay more if I could get more out of them but maybe my expextations are a little high there also. How many systems would you say get fixed on average by each tech in a day. I may have to come up with a goal based system for raises. Thanks everyone for sharing all the good info.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:30 PM

Holzster is on a distinguished road

For me it is hard to say how many PC's/day as a virus cleaning & a sound card install would be hard to determine & average. During the Temp time I watch what they do during the "down" times. If they sit & watch Youtube or do they clean or try to at least look busy means a lot. The temp time is a BIG deal to me.
The Tech's do have to create at least 2 how to's per month on stuff they do - that way we have a catalog of how-to's for new tech's

High Tech Redneck
www.HTRedneck.com