Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-08-2010, 06:42 PM

gabak is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to gabak Send a message via MSN to gabak Send a message via Skype™ to gabak
Smile is there some software to backup *.doc *.xls *.jpg automaticaly?

i want a software so when a customer bring me a computer then i connect the hdd to my computer i dont have to make a huge research to see where the customer has all his data.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:13 PM

ATTech is on a distinguished road

Ask them if they have specifically saved anything outside of the default places (My Docs, Desktop and Favs).

If they have, have them specify where.

The problem with having software that automatically backs up by file type, is that you'll get A LOT of useless stuff backed up.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:28 PM

DCGPX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabak View Post
i want a software so when a customer bring me a computer then i connect the hdd to my computer i dont have to make a huge research to see where the customer has all his data.
This is why most of us have a disclaimer saying its the clients responsibility to back up. If they havent then personally I ask where do they want backed up and its stipulated on work order. Thats all I back up.

As an aside though I do a full image as standard if its a base repair and say its on my server for 7 days after which its gone and sorry if they missed something.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:07 PM

mh348 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTech View Post
Ask them if they have specifically saved anything outside of the default places (My Docs, Desktop and Favs).

If they have, have them specify where.

The problem with having software that automatically backs up by file type, is that you'll get A LOT of useless stuff backed up.
Agreed, Make a form that they can fill in, stating what needs to be backed up, and make them sign...

By default you should backup, my docs (or the entire docs & settings folder / user folder), which in most cases will include docs, favs, desktop emails etc

Also check there PC for apps that might have data stored in the c: drive or in the programs folder... For example an Accounting App that might have data stored in the Program folder..
Old 05-08-2010, 08:48 PM

Pc Fixed Right is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Pc Fixed Right

you can always use fabs autobackup tool that has been mentioned alot it will save you lots of time
Old 05-08-2010, 09:11 PM

Vicenarian has a spectacular aura aboutVicenarian has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pc Fixed Right View Post
you can always use fabs autobackup tool that has been mentioned alot it will save you lots of time
+1 GREAT TOOL...for only like $6.75 too
2 Corinthians 5:21 "For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin (by dying in our place), so that we could be made right with God through Christ."
Old 05-08-2010, 10:05 PM

iisjman07 has a spectacular aura aboutiisjman07 has a spectacular aura about

http://www.myharddrivedied.com/files...ategy%20Slurp/

This is some free software called 'FSSlurp' (short for Forensic Slurp). Run that from the customers windows environment and it'll scan the entire drive for .doc, .ppt, .url, .xls, and .pdf files. It'll back them up on the same folder where it is stored, so you can use a flash drive although it may be slow because of transfer speeds. You could always make a little batch file that scans the drive for .jpg files and copies them, or just use the Windows Search utility

Last edited by iisjman07; 05-08-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:00 AM

gabak is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to gabak Send a message via MSN to gabak Send a message via Skype™ to gabak
Default thank you guys

well , something people dont know what they have then say simple say , save all.
If you ask them where is your data , they simple dont know. ( some of them others they know what they have and where it is).

my idea was something that will search in a quick way for what it matters.
i m linux fans so it somebody know an linux software that will be better , otherwise i ll go back to xp.

I have read one guy say he simple makes an image from the whole hdd , that surely takes a lot of time plus a lot hdd speace!! ( plus what do u use to do that? ghost symantec? clonezilla? after that will u unzip that hug file so customer will download from ftp server what he needs?
Old 05-09-2010, 04:37 AM

PR Tech is an unknown quantity at this point

I like Acronis for making disk images. It lets you easily work with permissions. We have several internal SATA drives where the initial backup goes. Then it gets moved from the internal drives to external USB hard drives after about a month or so. We probably keep backups for 4-6 months...a long time, but has been worth it on several occasions now.

www.PasoRoblesTech.com
Old 05-09-2010, 08:32 AM

iisjman07 has a spectacular aura aboutiisjman07 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
4-6 months.
Lol, we only keep them for 4 weeks