Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Hardware

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-06-2010, 08:04 PM

slim_xgy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to slim_xgy
Question Dell Dimension 4600, Hard drive dvd rom not detected

hey guys
I'm currently fixing a dell dimension 4600, the owner said it's been down for some time.
The Hard drive and cd drive is not recognized by the bios, i upgraded the bios to A12 from dell's website but same thing.
When i use another hard drive with the old one as slave on cable select it is recognized, if it's the master bother are not detected, same with the dvd rom.
it works ok if another cd drive or hard drive is on the same ribbon as master but by themselves nothing.
I tried formatting the hard drive and scanning it with different utilities, form untimate boot cd, i tried taking out the cmos battery nothing works.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:26 PM

DarDar is on a distinguished road

Not sure if it was the same model but i had a problem like this before with a friends pc. They had found a trick where they switched the drives in the bios to off and then back to auto then exit the bios and let it carry on. 90% of the time this worked for them first time and it took a few goes if it didn't. I carried out the same actions as you did but also changed the cable all to no avail. It gradually got worse until eventually it refused to boot any more.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:24 AM

Default any suggestions

i installed winXp on the old Hard drive when is was set to slave and rad the drivers from dell web site when i removed the other hard drive the system went back to the same not recognizing the hard drive.
I'm trying to save the client some $$ since the old power supply is dead and had to be replaced.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:48 AM

red12049 has a spectacular aura aboutred12049 has a spectacular aura about

Try checking this out and see if it helps.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html

If it does help, go back and learn how computers operate.

Rick
Old 05-09-2010, 02:14 AM

thanks for the suggestion and i'm constantly learning how computers operate and checked numerous sites for suggestions on this problem.
first of all i tried switching the cables in cable select mode and setting the jumpers for master, slave and single drive.
The system has an 80gb drive and i have an old 40gb both seagate drives.
the only time the system would recognize the 80gb drive is when it's the slave and the 40gb drive is the master other than that is comes up as not detected in the bios and therefore i cannot boot from it.
same issue withe the dvd rom that the system has. only recognized when it's the slave and another drive is attached to the cable.
all drives are ide drives. the system recognizes other drives ide and sata i want the client to save on hard drive and cd rom cost since the system is kinda old and and for them to have a memory (RAM) upgrade form 256mb to at least 1gb.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_xgy View Post
thanks for the suggestion and i'm constantly learning how computers operate and checked numerous sites for suggestions on this problem.
first of all i tried switching the cables in cable select mode and setting the jumpers for master, slave and single drive.
The system has an 80gb drive and i have an old 40gb both seagate drives.
the only time the system would recognize the 80gb drive is when it's the slave and the 40gb drive is the master other than that is comes up as not detected in the bios and therefore i cannot boot from it.
same issue withe the dvd rom that the system has. only recognized when it's the slave and another drive is attached to the cable.
all drives are ide drives. the system recognizes other drives ide and sata i want the client to save on hard drive and cd rom cost since the system is kinda old and and for them to have a memory (RAM) upgrade form 256mb to at least 1gb.
Forget the CD for a moment, disconnect it.....try using the original hard drive on the secondary IDE port. If the computer sees it, the primary IDE port or cable has gone bad.

Rick
Old 05-10-2010, 01:37 PM

did that, same problem. i worked on the system for approx. 12 hours because i really want to figure this out. i checked all kinds of forums and did almost everything. changing cmos battery. i did notice that the time and date in the bios would return to 0 hours and date back to 2004 sometimes.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:28 PM

Hercomputers is an unknown quantity at this point

Slim,

Did you go on the Dell website, look up that particular model desktop and check the Support/Troubleshooting pages? I worked on a customer's Dell desktop a while ago and after going to the Dell-specific model site, I found that there were drive settings in the bios/configuration that needed to be changed and I was able to get the hard drive detected.

I'd try that if you haven't already done so already. My two cents.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_xgy View Post
did that, same problem. i worked on the system for approx. 12 hours because i really want to figure this out. i checked all kinds of forums and did almost everything. changing cmos battery. i did notice that the time and date in the bios would return to 0 hours and date back to 2004 sometimes.
If it is doing this reliably (meaning that every time you hook up the 40 as master, it sees the 80 as slave) then the answer is right there. If you boot from the 40, can you read the 80? If so, you've got a jumper issue, bad cable, bent or broken pin, or something along those lines. If you can't read files on the 80, that's another issue altogether.

Also, on some Dells, I've had to go into BIOS and manually reset the drive selection to auto in order for it to recognize a drive.

Good luck. Would be interested in hearing the final outcome.

Rick