Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Networking

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-23-2010, 05:12 PM

Jmage is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best free Proxy for Windows OS?

Hey,

I got some clients that want to check the usage of Internet by their Employees. They want a report of all visited websites but don't want to block them for now.

So I searched various things on the Internet and I found that a Transparent Proxy would be the perfect thing for them. What I wanted to know is what Proxy should I use? There is so many on the Internet... I want it to be Windows compatible (XP or Server 2003) and have a nice "reporting" system so my client can get it via Email and understand it easily.

It looks like SquidNT is the best choice but you need to install a diferent software for port forwarding. Any of you tried this and is it that good?

All my clients have at least one 2003 server(DHCP and DNS) that I can add another NIC for the proxy.

Installing some Spy software on their PC isn't an option here. I don't want spy software on any computer!

Waiting for you opinions about this.

Thank you!

Last edited by Jmage; 04-23-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Add more info on my needs
Old 04-23-2010, 08:24 PM

dbdawn will become famous soon enough

Do they have a firewall? Usually those give some usage logs.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:52 PM

Blues is on a distinguished road

The biggest complication we have run into at my office with transparent proxies is capturing the user names with the traffic. IPs are easy to grab so the question is if that will be sufficient for your needs or do you need to capture their user names too.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:25 PM

ProTech-MN is on a distinguished road

What about something like Untangle?
Old 04-27-2010, 01:05 PM

Thanks for all the reply and sorry for the delay, had a long week-end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues View Post
The biggest complication we have run into at my office with transparent proxies is capturing the user names with the traffic. IPs are easy to grab so the question is if that will be sufficient for your needs or do you need to capture their user names too.
No really need to capture the User name but the Hostname of the PC would be awesome. IP will do fine to, I'll just need to show them how to find wich computer it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdawn View Post
Do they have a firewall? Usually those give some usage logs.
They don't have firewall like ISA or something like this. Only a router that doesn't give alot of informations... Already checked that. Their server doesn't have 2 NIC but I can add one (and I will) when I'll find the right software!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTech-MN View Post
What about something like Untangle?
Looks awesome and that's the kind of nice looking reports I want them to get. But from what I can see you need to install this on all windows computer on your domain right? Isn't there a way to install it on a single server with 2 nic just to filter Web usage?

Thank you
Old 04-27-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmage View Post
Looks awesome and that's the kind of nice looking reports I want them to get. But from what I can see you need to install this on all windows computer on your domain right? Isn't there a way to install it on a single server with 2 nic just to filter Web usage?
Did more reading on their site and saw the free Dedicated Transparent Bridge Server, it is downloading right now on my PC and I'm gonna give this a try! Thanks alot for the link, will gives update as the installation goes.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmage View Post
Did more reading on their site and saw the free Dedicated Transparent Bridge Server, it is downloading right now on my PC and I'm gonna give this a try! Thanks alot for the link, will gives update as the installation goes.
I hope it works for your needs. I've played with Untangle in the past, but never actually deployed it in a "production" environment. I'm interested in hearing about your experience with it...

-Randy
Old 04-27-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTech-MN View Post
I hope it works for your needs. I've played with Untangle in the past, but never actually deployed it in a "production" environment. I'm interested in hearing about your experience with it...

-Randy
Hey Randy,

Just to let you know that Untangle is AWESOME! So easy to install, so easy to manage and configure! I love it! Now I'm waiting for it to produce a Report overnight so I can see what it looks like but I think we have a winner here! Thank you very much for the link.

I setuped it in my Production/Test environment (Yeah, the employees where I work are my test dummies ). Right now it's right before ISA and the switch. My network is like : Wan Router -> ISA -> Untangle -> Switch -> PC/Servers

Right now it has some issue with computer that cannot access the Untangle Server website to manage it and blocking website doesn't work on almost all the computer but with ISA on the same network at the same time I'm not to much worried about this.

Thank you again, I can't believe I never found this before with all the search I made on the web.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:43 PM

Blues is on a distinguished road

Just to continue from your answer to my question if they have a solid firewall in place that is capable of content filtering it should have tracking functions that can be enabled however it does sound like you already have this worked out or on the way there.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 PM

Jamge,

Glad to hear it!

-Randy