Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-05-2010, 09:53 PM

Techs on Deck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's your voicemail greeting?

I'm making every effort I can to not let potential clients' calls go to voicemail, but it's often impossible for me to answer the phone before 4pm. I hate losing sales. What voicemail greeting do you use for your business, and do you find it effective in converting missed calls into sales?
Old 04-05-2010, 09:57 PM

ATTech is on a distinguished road

I doubt the content of the message, assuming it's a message that you would expect a business to have, is going to make a great deal of difference.

In my experience, people will either not pay attention to the message and leave one, or hang up as soon as the voicemail starts playing and call someone else.

If you're that concerned, I'd look for a good answering service.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:12 PM

NYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really nice

No matter what message I use I found that people prefer to hang up and either go somewhere or they keep calling every X amount of minutes.

When I am not around or closed I can come back in and see the missed calls and its amazing how many times some people will call and NOT leave a message, no matter how inviting the welcome/greeting is.

For instance, last week a lady called 8 times over a 4 hour period but didnt leave a message. I got her live on Saturday and it turned out to be a no-money-call (too expensive to fix), but she should have left a message days before and I would have called her back.

I dont think its the message, its the fact you dont answer, they just keep trying or move on.

Last edited by NYJimbo; 04-05-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:43 PM

callthatgirl is a jewel in the roughcallthatgirl is a jewel in the roughcallthatgirl is a jewel in the rough

I'm big on hanging up if there is no answer. I like getting someone live when I have questions.

I get those too...no messages but a few missed calls. Doesn't matter about the message, it's a live person they want.

To download and start learning now click here

Interested in learning even more? Check out my podcast on the Podnutz network! Show 8 is now up!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:56 PM

Bullfighter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Bullfighter

Have you looked into hiring a VA (Virtual Assistant)?

At least this way you will have a live person answering your calls and if you can afford it maybe find one with a little bit of tech knowledge so that they can sound like they know what they are talking about if asked a simple question.

Check out elance.com prices start at $5 and up per hour. Just make sure if you get someone out of country you interview them first to make sure they speak clear/good English. If you need help with this process PM me and I'll help you out.

For the time it takes them to take down their contact information it'd be worth it if you are losing out on jobs.

EP

Eddie

REP4 Technologies Inc.
"Smart Business IT Solutions"
Old 04-05-2010, 11:04 PM

NYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfighter View Post
Just make sure if you get someone out of country you interview them first to make sure they speak clear/good English.
Are you saying that with this service the caller gets the SAME person each time?.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:30 PM

Bullfighter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Bullfighter

It really depends on the VA - you can get a company that offer VA services and then ask to always use a specific individual or there are VAs out there that are a one-person show so you'd always get the same person, of course.

One thing about VAs - be VERY specific. They are going to charge you by the hour so don't be afraid so say things like "Calls should not last more than 120 seconds" "Don't troubleshoot more than 10 minutes". Make rules and guidelines so that you don't get a bill for several hours of work you didn't want them to do.

EP

Eddie

REP4 Technologies Inc.
"Smart Business IT Solutions"
Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 AM

Appleby is on a distinguished road

I had a HUGE problem with hang ups also. I changed my greeting to say this..."Hi you've reached Benchmark Computer & Tech Support. Today is Tuesday and I'm currently with another customer or on another phone line. Please leave a message and I will call you back as soon as possible." I use Google Voice and I change the greeting every night to my "After Hours" msg. and I have a pre-recorded msg for M-F and I change the message every morning. This has GREATLY helped with my hang up problem. Sure I still get a fair amount but nothing like before. When people here you say what day of the week it is, they at least know you are working and not on vacation. Just a thought....
Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one. - Matthew 5:37
Old 04-06-2010, 03:45 PM

Techs on Deck is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleby View Post
I had a HUGE problem with hang ups also. I changed my greeting to say this..."Hi you've reached Benchmark Computer & Tech Support. Today is Tuesday and I'm currently with another customer or on another phone line. Please leave a message and I will call you back as soon as possible." I use Google Voice and I change the greeting every night to my "After Hours" msg. and I have a pre-recorded msg for M-F and I change the message every morning. This has GREATLY helped with my hang up problem. Sure I still get a fair amount but nothing like before. When people here you say what day of the week it is, they at least know you are working and not on vacation. Just a thought....
That's a great idea, Appleby! I'll do that for now until I have enough income to justify a VA (which sounds ideal)

Does anyone know of any virtual assistant services or call centers that specialize in computer repair calls? My Googling is failing me...
Old 04-06-2010, 06:11 PM

jimmm33 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't even have a message. It just goes to voicemail. I don't have a problem with hang ups either. I do believe that the of the most important factors to a successful business is to call people back promptly.

When I'm talking to a customer in person and my phone rings, I quickly grab it and silence it without even skipping a beat in my current conversation then return the call when I leave the customers site.

Last edited by jimmm33; 04-06-2010 at 06:14 PM.

Tags
answering machine, voicemail