Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Guides, Tips and Tricks

Technibble Sponsor

Old 02-19-2006, 08:38 AM

ipodman is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Well I agree that you need some of the software listed above but not all of it listed above, A good virus protection like Norton would help repair a computer from viruses.

For anti-spywear I would use something like Microsoft Anti-spywear remover as it is free and also is very effective.

For security I find that a very good firewall is a must have maybe the firewall you get with Norton can be used for this.

Or if all fails just do the extreme and wipe the HDD and re-install the OS

I thought I would just add my own views about what is needed.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:14 AM
Administrator

Bryce W will become famous soon enough

I didnt recommend Norton as a antivirus as I find it causes more problems that it solves. I found that there is alot that it doesnt detect, alot of viruses are designed to specifically disable Norton and when Norton goes bad things seem to really go wrong because it is so deep-rooted into your system.

However, Norton Firewall was surprisingly good when I tested it. At the time I was running a linux firewall which I made run totally in stealth mode (no ports open and completely hidden from the net), I was bragging a little and I got a friend to try the port scans against his box protected with Norton Firewall, he got the exact same scores which was very surprising to me.

Microsoft Anti-spyware ive heard good things about however I cannot really comment on it as I have not used it myself.

For advertising rates, Technibble product support (questions, replacements etc..) please email: support [at] technibble.com
Old 02-20-2006, 11:56 PM

bongo is on a distinguished road

avast is really good because it has protect me many years..i think its actually better then norton antivirus...the scan is accurate and no virus can escape its claw..
Old 02-21-2006, 06:07 PM

a1whs.com is on a distinguished road

I dont know how many of you guys are aware of the fact that once you install AVG, its almost impossible to get it off your system without having a breakdown. There are few bugs that are present in AVG which i heard from people who used it and do computer repair sort of jobs. F-Secure is better than AVG i used it for free for 1 year ( i think they have 1 year free trial )
Old 02-22-2006, 05:42 PM

bongo is on a distinguished road

really? is it true..all i know is that i have breakdown of computer when i install the zonealarm...i think i better look for another virus protection..argh..thxs for the info..
Old 10-28-2006, 08:11 AM

ArticleBot is on a distinguished road
Post The Right Tool for the Job - Top 10 Computer Repair Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticleBot
When you are on the job, you better come prepared. This article is a list of useful computer repair tools.
Read the full article.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:19 PM

ROBERTWIESMANN is on a distinguished road

I Prefer Eset Antivirus ,and Zone Alarm For A Really Effective Firewall
Old 11-26-2006, 02:32 AM

TechPro is on a distinguished road

I like to take a TCP Settings tweaker with me to speed up peoples internet connections.

I find this one does the trick:

TCP Optimizer

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Also a nice system information util like AIDA32:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html

or Belarc Advisor

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
Old 11-29-2006, 05:33 AM

TechPro is on a distinguished road

I know this article is old and I am digging it up but.....

You mentioned that you keep filemon and process explorer in your toolkit.

Does anyone have any real scenarios where they have used these tools to troubleshoot a problem and what kind of situations would you use these tools in?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2007, 09:21 PM

gunslinger has a spectacular aura aboutgunslinger has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to gunslinger

Hi everyone, i'm new here and so far I think its a great find.

As far as Protection for your system goes, i have found that less is more. A few years ago this was not the case for me. I had maybe 4-5 different spyware/addware/malware protection programs running , plus antivirus and firewall. These days i keep it simple. After a clean install I set up everything just the way i want them, with all my tweaks and programs. Next i partition my drive and using acronis true image make a secure zone to mount that image to. I use spyware blaster, and Kaspersky internet security suite. If i think i might have picked up spyware i'll run my own portable versions of ad-aware, and spybot s&d. If i really mess up i can always have my system back to perfect in about 15 mins. This works for me. thought everyone might like to know. Oh, and i agree that Norton causes more problems than it solves.