Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 11-25-2007, 02:10 AM

brcastle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PC slower after a cleanup

Installed AVGfree SB&D on a mates computer, then installed and ran CC to free up space, also removed unnecesary applications using add/remove programs. Can CC remove vital system processes or something that could make the system run slower, because im 95% sure that i didnt remove anything that would affect the system manually.

There is 50 processes runnign in task manager so jsut went through there and ended the unnecesary ones. Am scanning again for viruses/adaware again, but my guts telling me its something else.....

Any advice? Will put Hijack on this pc and post that log later also.

Example of times that its running slow is when opening simple things like control panel the torch comes up to look for files, also IE is takingh ages jstu to open the window and load, its a 1.5 MB connection.... Just when opening apps its taking alot longer than it should do.

Also its a 3.06 P4 with 512 RAM so it shouldnt be doing these things.... worthwhile putting in another 512RAM to help speed up? The comptuer is glogged full fo **** that it doesnt need to...

Last edited by brcastle; 11-25-2007 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:53 AM

gunslinger has a spectacular aura aboutgunslinger has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to gunslinger

Lets start with the spyware ad-ware problem, if spybot picked up something I would also recommend installing ad-aware se or spyware terminator. One program never picks up everything so its always best to run two or three. Do not do this with your antivirus however. Another thing, you say you have 50 running processes. I have 38 programs installed on my system and I have 33 things going in the background. I'm certain some of those can be killed off. Look for things like nero, quicktime, itunes ect. not just spyware. After shutting down these things go to start-run-type msconfig-enter, and in the start up tab uncheck anything you know does not need to start up with windows, such as quicktime, or any instant messenger services. If the system can be upgraded with another 512 RAM by all means do it. 512 is what I would recommend if all you wanted to do is just run windows, with no other programs installed at all. With memory as cheap as it is right now, its a good way to dramatically speed up your system. There are other little tweaks that you can do later to really make it fly but this should be a good start.

Last edited by gunslinger; 11-25-2007 at 02:58 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Bryce W will become famous soon enough

Could also be file fragmentation or the precache rebuilding after the cleanup.

You probably would have deleted alot of small junk files all over your system with those cleanup tools, which may have made things somewhat fragmented. Try running a defrag on those drives.

Another possibility is some cleanup applications (including CCleaner) will clear out the Windows precache. The Windows precache caches applications so that they load up faster. What you might be seeing is the system rebuilding this precache every time you run an application.

For advertising rates, Technibble product support (questions, replacements etc..) please email: support [at] technibble.com
Old 11-25-2007, 05:15 PM

I guess I took for granted that he defraged the drive, but you are exactly right Bryce.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:56 PM

Holzster is on a distinguished road

Kind of off topic but - What defrager do you use? the windows one, or....

Holzster
Old 11-26-2007, 02:44 AM

With XP I like diskeeper and ultimate defrag, if its free you are after try the new Defraggler from the same people that make Ccleaner. I have also started using JKDfrag, it works well and its portable. As for vista, I have yet to find one that works 100% of the time without freezing, but O&O Dfrag pro works most of the time on it.

Last edited by gunslinger; 11-26-2007 at 02:48 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Bryce W will become famous soon enough

JkDefrag: http://www.technibble.com/repair-too...-jkdefrag-gui/

For advertising rates, Technibble product support (questions, replacements etc..) please email: support [at] technibble.com