Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-23-2010, 11:05 PM

RegEdit is on a distinguished road
Default Way to convert recovery partition to Windows CD?

Is there a way to essentially create a Windows CD from a recovery partition on a name computer (ex- Dell)?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 PM

mtag is an unknown quantity at this point

Most of the major manufacturers have installed a program to do this and usually one time only. However, it will be an OEM install with all of the drivers and programs that shipped with your computer.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:53 PM

I wonder if you can then use nLite to remove the hardware drivers and programs.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:51 AM

vdub12 is on a distinguished road

You can try using "drive image XML" on the UBCD4WIN to image the drive in to 700mb images and burn those to CD. However, you would have to restore them using the same program. Unless you could use the file browse feature from another computer to extract the files and make a bootable DVD out of them.

I think it would be possible. Might take a little hacking but you should be able to do it.

Why dont you just get a restore disk from the manufacturer. Are they required to provide one. I have never understood that completely.

When I reload a costumers PC that does not have a restore disk I just use a copy of whatever version of windows that they have and use there CD key. In fact for XP pro I use the famous hacked corporate copy, however with there CD key its legal.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:12 AM

I'm not working on any particular computer of mine, so I can't order one. I need to build a collection of Vista and Windows 7 CD's, with latest service packs so I can reinstall on people's systems as needed. If I can't effectively create CD's from people's recovery partitions, I guess I will probably just buy each version (Home, Business, Premium, Ultimate), rip 'em with ImgBurn, and resell them. I'm not installing product keys with them - Just installing the OS and using their product keys. All too often people have service pack 1 in their recovery partition and that take hours and hours to upgrade. Vista takes an ETERNITY to go from SP1 to SP2 with all the updates!