Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Software Applications

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-21-2010, 03:25 PM

chrisaroz is on a distinguished road
Default Comodo Internet Security

There's been some talk of Comodo recently, and I have to admit that I've never looked into them before. I'm a big follower of the AV Comparatives tests, and since they've never been in there, I assumed it was junk.

Can I get some reviews from you guys on it? Sped on slower machines, features, etc...? I see the Pro version comes with "LivePCSupport". What's that all about? How's there reseller program? How does it compare to Avast? Has anyone tested in a real-world environment to see if they're able to get infected with drive-by downloads or infected web ads?
Old 03-21-2010, 04:17 PM

sjlplat is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard poor reviews of the Comodo anti-virus application. I use the firewall, and absolutely love it. It's got more advanced features than any of the other free solutions. I recently looked over the features of the anti-virus, and they mention that their latest version uses sandboxing. I'm not sure if this is a new feature, but if so then it sounds like it may be worth looking at.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:03 PM

TrueICT is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm downloading Comodo atm. I've been looking for a free all-in-one antivirus and internet security package. Will follow up with a review.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:12 PM

MobileTechie has a spectacular aura aboutMobileTechie has a spectacular aura about

It looks good on paper. I'm slightly concerned about the "sandboxing" which appears to only sandbox new apps it doesn't know. I'm not sure how this is going to protect from a browser it knows changing system files and settings?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:54 PM

TrueICT is an unknown quantity at this point

So far, I'm really impressed with the features on offer from Comodo Internet Security 4 Free. It offers a really good Firewall and has intergrated some ingenious features like a Sandbox. The Sandbox is good. It will sandbox any application it hasn't seen before and give you the option to leave it running in sandbox or permanently remove it from the Sandbox.

I am a bit sceptical about the Anti-Virus portion of the app and have yet to run any tests. Tomorrow I am going to install it on a VM and throw some viruses at it. As for what other people are saying, I've read reviews which have performed lab tests and score it only 5 out of 10 while AVG gets a 8.9 out of 10 in it's ability to detect, remove and cleanup viruses.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:25 AM

DarDar is on a distinguished road

The sandboxing feature was given a bit of a review by Darren over at Hak.5
They put it up against Sandboxie and using no sandboxing when browsing some dodgy sites.

http://revision3.com/hak5/ultrasandboxes
Old 03-25-2010, 12:34 AM

PCS is an unknown quantity at this point

It's been very highly rated by many UK mags for a while now. I was starting to think it was maybe a just a UK thing as I'd never heared it mentioned here or podnutz. I've been using it for years now, it's not for everyone though. You need to have a bit of an idea about what is happening when the pop ups ask you to allow or block items. Therfore I feel if you gave to a basic user they would get annoyed and not understand what's happening or just allow everything to make the box go away, then what's the point in a firewall.

IMO the product has got better and more user friendly. I wouldn't call myself a computer genius, but I'm also far from being just a user but it took me four or five version before it became a product I could use without blocking off my network and being impossible to the point that all I could do to get things working again was uninstall it.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:58 AM

MobileTechie has a spectacular aura aboutMobileTechie has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarDar View Post
The sandboxing feature was given a bit of a review by Darren over at Hak.5
They put it up against Sandboxie and using no sandboxing when browsing some dodgy sites.

http://revision3.com/hak5/ultrasandboxes
So it would appear that the user has to specifically run IE sandboxed for it to kick in. I cannot see my customers doing this. In which case they are not protected any more than any other AV/Firewall combo. I was hoping it would do this as default or do a GesWall type thing and otherwise isolate the browser.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:51 PM

ell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueICT View Post
So far, I'm really impressed with the features on offer from Comodo Internet Security 4 Free. It offers a really good Firewall and has intergrated some ingenious features like a Sandbox. The Sandbox is good. It will sandbox any application it hasn't seen before and give you the option to leave it running in sandbox or permanently remove it from the Sandbox.

I am a bit sceptical about the Anti-Virus portion of the app and have yet to run any tests. Tomorrow I am going to install it on a VM and throw some viruses at it. As for what other people are saying, I've read reviews which have performed lab tests and score it only 5 out of 10 while AVG gets a 8.9 out of 10 in it's ability to detect, remove and cleanup viruses.
I just installed the new avira free version, it appears to have a new rootkit feature, anybody have any opinions on it?
Old 03-25-2010, 06:24 PM

Galdorf will become famous soon enough

Comodo Internet Security 3.8 Detection and Removal Review
Comodo 4 Internet Security Review and Tests Part 1
http://remove-malware.com/

Last edited by Galdorf; 03-25-2010 at 07:07 PM.