Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 05:37 AM

gunslinger has a spectacular aura aboutgunslinger has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipper View Post
I agree but your words were "if it aint broke, don't fix it" and for some people 98 is fine and in their opinion isn't broken. So going by that statment you would still recommend 98!
Nope. Most software made these days works with XP and does not work with 98 or Vista. When and if most software is made for Vista and not for XP that will make XP broken by default because it will no longer work with the apps. I want to use.

Last edited by gunslinger; 11-27-2007 at 05:40 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:57 AM

dipper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Like I said you can have any opinion you want even if its disproven with facts. I guess fully functional Vista machine is a subjective term.
Yes it is a subjective term which is what seems to be the main point of difference here.

Just because Vista doesn't support everything that XP does doesn't make it any less of an operating system for certain people. If Vista does what the actual user wants why should they care if Vista doesn't support XYZ printer or ABC software etc. ie if it works for them then thats great. If it doesn't then it is up to us techs to either get it to work or recommend they go back to XP.

Yesterday I had a tech say that a certain printer wouldn't work in MS Windows 2003 as it is old and there are no drivers. Do I throw up my hands and say Windows 2003 server is crap and install Windows 2000 Server? No I recommend what they can do.

My main concern is that you seem to have a blinkered vision and do not recommend Vista for anyone even if it would suit their needs perfectly.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Nope. Most software made these days works with XP and does not work with 98 or Vista. When and if most software is made for Vista and not for XP that will make XP broken by default because it will no longer work with the apps. I want to use.

In the customers eyes though it cannot be broken as they still use the same software they always had.

Also wasn't it you who complained about being "forced" to buy new software and hardware just to get Vista to work? So is it ok to force a user to buy new software for XP but not ok for Vista? You seem to have double standards?
Old 11-27-2007, 06:08 AM

"Just because Vista doesn't support everything that XP does doesn't make it any less of an operating system for certain people."

Thats exactly what makes it less functional, and therefore less of an operating system. Less than XP anyway. I guess if all certain people do is check their email now and then and never want to install any programs. Its fine for them, but why would they go to an OS thats needs more RAM and cost so much just to do that?

"My main concern is that you seem to have a blinkered vision and do not recommend Vista for anyone even if it would suit their needs perfectly."

Sure don't, because anything Vista can do XP can do better and on a more stable platform.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:
In the customers eyes though it cannot be broken as they still use the same software they always had.

Also wasn't it you who complained about being "forced" to buy new software and hardware just to get Vista to work? So is it ok to force a user to buy new software for XP but not ok for Vista? You seem to have double standards?
Wrong again, when they are using "software 2.0" and "software 4.2" comes out they may upgrade. If not and Microsoft still supports the OS they are using, why upgrade?

Would'nt have a problem with it if Vista was better than XP, but its not.
Again I think you are trying to compare the XP vs. Vista to the 98 vs. XP battle and you can't because XP was a mega leap over 98. Again, I have yet to see something Vista can do that XP cannot

Last edited by gunslinger; 11-27-2007 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:18 AM

[QUOTE=gunslinger;6700Sure don't, because anything Vista can do XP can do better and on a more stable platform.[/QUOTE]

Again better and stable are subjective terms.

I have heard others say that Vista is better and faster than XP. You as a tech should want to know how that can be so and ask suitable questions. You though put up the blinkers and say XP is best.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Wrong again, when they are using "software 2.0" and "software 4.2" comes out they may upgrade.
They "may" upgrade as you put it. They may not as well which makes the 98 machine in your own reasoning still a suitable machine.

BTW In a few years what will you tell people that you sold XP computers to that the latest software won't work!!!

or

When you recommend XP over Vista to a client (because Vista is crap according to you) and the client says but my mate Fred uses Vista for exactly what I want and he loves it and has no problems.

If I was you I would be trying hard to find out why people are happy using Vista and what is different on their machines than yours. You though put your head in the sand and ignore others and jump on the convenient excuse that "Vista is crap" bandwagon.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:28 AM

I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to say Vista is faster given two identical computers with the same specs. If you can show me that Vista is faster than XP given the same specs. I'd like to see it.
My idea of stable is no blue screens, freezing, or random data corruption among other things.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:36 AM

Quote:
They "may" upgrade as you put it. They may not as well which makes the 98 machine in your own reasoning still a suitable machine.

BTW In a few years what will you tell people that you sold XP computers to that the latest software won't work!!!

or

When you recommend XP over Vista to a client (because Vista is crap according to you) and the client says but my mate Fred uses Vista for exactly what I want and he loves it and has no problems.

If I was you I would be trying hard to find out why people are happy using Vista and what is different on their machines than yours. You though put your head in the sand and ignore others and jump on the convenient excuse that "Vista is crap" bandwagon.
I think I said if the os is still supported.

I would say that Fred could have saved himself about $400 and Done the same thing with XP.

If I could find someone where I live that is happy with Vista I'd love to find out why. But so far no "happy Vista users" to be found here. ( hmmm...must be something in the water )

Last edited by gunslinger; 11-27-2007 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:57 AM

NWPhotog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Like I said you can have any opinion you want even if its disproven with facts.
The trouble is a different opinion than yours equals wrong to you. When you came across evidence that disproved your opinion you didn't ask questions concerning details you just tried to shout it down. I would hope you know exactly what transparent is. 'Nough said.
Closed Thread