Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-08-2010, 05:33 PM

Compbck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Connect Desktop PC to 32" TV

I need to setup a connection between desktop PC and a 32" 1080p TV which will run a series of powerpoint presentations in a shop environment.

Limitations include the PC will need to sited quite a distance from the TV which will be supported by a ceiling bracket.

My main concern is that the screen resolution of (1920x1080) will not ne achieved on the TV screen. I have read many articles about vga cables not being able to support such a connection, even if a video card in the PC does, and that HDMI is the only solution.

However, the cable run will need to be about 50 meters and as far as I can determine HDMI has a maximum length of 20 meters.

Before ordering all the parts I ned to know if I can produce an image on the 32" TV that will fill the whole screen and not be chopped off at the sides as was the case with a laptop that I tested on a similar TV.

Any advice on the subject would be gratefully appreciated.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:11 PM

sjlplat is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want to use a TV for display, I've found that an ATI video chipset works far better than nVidia. I always use ATI for HTPC applications because the screen scaling capabilities are superior. I've had absolutely no trouble with adjusting screen resolution via HDMI with ATI.

To extend longer distances, you're going to need an HDMI repeater like this.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:43 PM

Xander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really nice

My home setup is an older nVidia (5700?) with VGA running to my main monitor, and the DVI with and HDMI adapter running out to my 42" ten feet away. Works fine.

42" has MediaPortal on it with uTorrent pulling in the shows. Love it.

New here? Watch this and read this. Remember, it's not our problem, it's yours so ask your questions well.
e.g. Make/Model#, Win version/SP#, BSOD 0x#. Consider posting Event Viewer logs, Autoruns exports or something.
More info means better answers and less snark.

Don't be parasitic and only pose your own questions. Help others.
Never trust a "tech" with a hotmail address.

D7 question/idea/etc? Bring it to the D7 Forums.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:03 PM

Sn@Ke is on a distinguished road

50m is a fair distance, I've done a 52" screen @ 20m.. I had a custom cable made, cost about $250AUD and it was twice as thick with better connections, works perfect and its been 2 years now.

50m, I would get the repeater and 2x custom 25m cables to be sure.. dont even bother with VGA or RCA ,they are horrible.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:11 PM

Thank you gentlemen - all of your suggestions will probably be integrated into my project. I have located one or two suppliers in the UK who can provide the necessary cabling and repeaters that thanks to you all I will obviously require. As this is a job for the Local Council it must be a success on the first attempt, if I hope to receive future contracts of this nature.

Thanks again.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:43 PM

Blues is on a distinguished road

If you have DVI it will convert to HDMI no audio over DVI but it is digital video signal 100% compatible with HDMI.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:59 AM

Default Connect Desktop PC to 32" TV

In concluding this thread, I thought I would feedback details of the final installation.

In order to run a 60 metre HDMI connection between the standalone PC and the 32" LCD TV hanging from the ceiling and facing through the shop front, I used an HDMI over (Single) CAT-5e/6/7 cable with EDID Extender Kit.

Due to the distance involved, HDMI on its own would either be extremely expensive or may not function correctly. Therefore, two devices were installed to form a link between two 5 metre HDMI cables at each end of the cable run with a 60 metre CAT6 cable installed between the devices, which overcomes the distance problem easily and economically.

When switching the PC off it in turn puts the LCD TV to sleep and vice versa, which made controlling the equipment easy for the novice users.

Due to Council's budget, we used PowerPoint 2007 to create a variety of presentations that would run in a loop, and I was quite surprised just how innovative the quality of the presentions could be, and with a little imagination just as good as the more expensive Digital Signage software that is also available.

Having successfully completed this project I am now going to market this as an additional service to small businesses, who may have been thinking about setting it up, but cost has just been too restrictive.

The cost could be reduced even more if the distance between the PC and TV can be reduced or if a user is happy with using 24" Monitor, which would not necessarily require the use of HDMI's 1920x1080p capabilities.

Thanks once again for your initial suggestions.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:19 AM

Alan22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the followup
Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Methical will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compbck View Post
In concluding this thread, I thought I would feedback details of the final installation.

In order to run a 60 metre HDMI connection between the standalone PC and the 32" LCD TV hanging from the ceiling and facing through the shop front, I used an HDMI over (Single) CAT-5e/6/7 cable with EDID Extender Kit.

Due to the distance involved, HDMI on its own would either be extremely expensive or may not function correctly. Therefore, two devices were installed to form a link between two 5 metre HDMI cables at each end of the cable run with a 60 metre CAT6 cable installed between the devices, which overcomes the distance problem easily and economically.

When switching the PC off it in turn puts the LCD TV to sleep and vice versa, which made controlling the equipment easy for the novice users.

Due to Council's budget, we used PowerPoint 2007 to create a variety of presentations that would run in a loop, and I was quite surprised just how innovative the quality of the presentions could be, and with a little imagination just as good as the more expensive Digital Signage software that is also available.

Having successfully completed this project I am now going to market this as an additional service to small businesses, who may have been thinking about setting it up, but cost has just been too restrictive.

The cost could be reduced even more if the distance between the PC and TV can be reduced or if a user is happy with using 24" Monitor, which would not necessarily require the use of HDMI's 1920x1080p capabilities.

Thanks once again for your initial suggestions.
Can I ask how much it all cost ? Cables, repeaters etc ..
Old 03-30-2010, 12:47 AM

vdub12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methical View Post
Can I ask how much it all cost ? Cables, repeaters etc ..
Yeah I would like to know also. This would solve a problem that I have been having with wanting to run a projector from my celling connected to a MythTV front end in my entertainment center.