Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Microsoft Windows

Technibble Sponsor

Old 02-19-2010, 05:44 PM

TechGuy71 is on a distinguished road
Default Is there a way to back out of a partial windows re-install?

Well I got a couple laptops in that were affected by the Windows update issue. Which, by the way, seems to only be a problem on computers running SecureIT. Anyway, I was able to get in and renamed the conflicting file and they both booted up. Problem is, one of them booted into the XP Pro restarting setup screen, prompting for the disk. To me it looks like someone tried to repair this computer and somehow started a new windows install. They swear they didn't do anything.

Anyway, I've tried my XP Pro SP3 CD it is prompting for. It errors out. So I got their set of cd's they made from the recovery partition. It crapped out too. If there is a way, I would rather back out of the install to get it back to where it was. Is there a way to do that? To tell the system not to boot back into the setup? I looked at the boot.ini and it only shows one Windows and looks right. But... when I boot to the recovery console it does show me two windows installs.

Any ideas?
Old 02-20-2010, 05:54 PM

@ncient geek is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGuy71 View Post
Well I got a couple laptops in that were affected by the Windows update issue. Which, by the way, seems to only be a problem on computers running SecureIT. Anyway, I was able to get in and renamed the conflicting file and they both booted up. Problem is, one of them booted into the XP Pro restarting setup screen, prompting for the disk. To me it looks like someone tried to repair this computer and somehow started a new windows install. They swear they didn't do anything.

Anyway, I've tried my XP Pro SP3 CD it is prompting for. It errors out. So I got their set of cd's they made from the recovery partition. It crapped out too. If there is a way, I would rather back out of the install to get it back to where it was. Is there a way to do that? To tell the system not to boot back into the setup? I looked at the boot.ini and it only shows one Windows and looks right. But... when I boot to the recovery console it does show me two windows installs.

Any ideas?
Simply reinstall a registry snapshot prior to the date you have tried your repair install. You may have to reinstall IE and/or Mediaplayer, but that should do the trick.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:05 PM

TechGuy71 is on a distinguished road

That worked, but now it's booting to a blank desktop and saying I need to activate Windows. I tell it to but all I get is the desktop and a cursor.. no icons, no taskbar, nothing. No right-click, no Windows button, no CTRL-ALT-DELETE. Nothing. And I can't boot into safe mode cause it says I need to activate and can only do so in regular mode...

I checked the userinit in the registry to make sure it read right, and it does.

Hm
Old 02-25-2010, 06:11 AM

@ncient geek is an unknown quantity at this point

You are faced with a not so frequent problem here. You will have to use the WGA reset either by deleting the WGA files or be resetting the ootimer in the registry. This will give you access to either the three day activation or the general 30 day activation from your desktop.

I would suggest another method.
Image the disk for safety, the delete the system32\drivers section and repair install. You may have to play arond a bit, but you will be able to get the system back up running again.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:52 AM

geeksinroute is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems repair install is the only option available to you. Try it this might solve your problem.