Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Security, Viruses and Trojans

Technibble Sponsor

Old 10-09-2007, 12:33 AM

focuz is on a distinguished road
Default AVcleaner care garbage

I had a spyware removal job the other day which looks like it was infected with avcleaner care.

Well through my various methods I believe the annoying prog was removed, as I didn't have any more pop ups and a super slow machine. However the control panel and all administrative commands where restricted. I got an error stating that access was restricted please contact the administrator, even though I was logged into safe mode as the administrator.

To make a long story short the client didn't have any valuable data and figured a windows reinstall would be easier and more productive, so thats what I did. Just seeing if any of you guys have had this issue as well and how you fix it, I need to figure something out as my next client with the same problem might not wish to perform a reinstall...
Old 10-09-2007, 03:26 PM

tkrabec is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to tkrabec Send a message via AIM to tkrabec Send a message via MSN to tkrabec Send a message via Yahoo to tkrabec Send a message via Skype™ to tkrabec

I ran into that infection last week. I had to format the 1st machine I had it on, the second machine I did an HP re-install and the problem persisted, not the infection, but the re-infection method lives in the recycling bin. If you try to empty the recycling bin it cannot due to a "damaged file". When you run check disk the file is fixed and the machine gets re-infected. I forgot to bookmark the site that had the solution, but Google for the directory that is damaged in the recycling bin.

the basic steps are simple
Dis-infect the machine
empty the recycling bin
Google on damaged file
run that fix
you're set.

If someone can post the damaged file I will post the solution.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:32 PM

The Goatboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Worked on a laptop that had this; thought I had it licked, but the end result was a few days later the laptop had to be re-imaged.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:06 AM

focuz is on a distinguished road

Thanks tkrabec, I absolutely hate re imaging. Its like saying the virus won no way to get around it
Old 10-10-2007, 02:43 AM

tkrabec is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to tkrabec Send a message via AIM to tkrabec Send a message via MSN to tkrabec Send a message via Yahoo to tkrabec Send a message via Skype™ to tkrabec

I've dealt with it 2x (with re-installing) now I'm confident I can get it the 3rd time.