Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Bryce W will become famous soon enough
Default Wireless Network Laws (hacking)

What do you guys think of the current wireless network laws concerning accessing unsecured networks.

The law in America is:
[FONT=sans-serif][SIZE=2]"accessing the files on an open network is illegal under both federal and state laws, as is using the Internet connection of an open wireless network."

[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=sans-serif][SIZE=2]However, what happens if I am sitting in McDonalds near the window with my cup of coffee, goto log onto the McD wireless network and check my morning email only to accidently connect to the business's across the roads network as it has a stronger connection. Ive suddenly broken the law.

What do you guys think about this issue, should accidently connecting to open networks be allowed (or at least overlooked)? should the law be made void if the network is open?
[/SIZE][/FONT]

For advertising rates, Technibble product support (questions, replacements etc..) please email: support [at] technibble.com
Old 04-21-2006, 09:39 AM

Emperor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles10
What do you guys think of the current wireless network laws concerning accessing unsecured networks.

The law in America is:
[FONT=sans-serif][SIZE=2]"accessing the files on an open network is illegal under both federal and state laws, as is using the Internet connection of an open wireless network."

[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=sans-serif][SIZE=2]However, what happens if I am sitting in McDonalds near the window with my cup of coffee, goto log onto the McD wireless network and check my morning email only to accidently connect to the business's across the roads network as it has a stronger connection. Ive suddenly broken the law.

What do you guys think about this issue, should accidently connecting to open networks be allowed (or at least overlooked)? should the law be made void if the network is open?
[/SIZE][/FONT]
I assume doing it accidentally is pretty rare, but maybe not. If you got caught, as long as it was obviously a pure accident, I think they would let it slide, considering it was in another place where wireless is for everyone. No big deal.

I don't think the law should be void, since there's so many attacks and it's so easy to do it over open networks, since most of the time if connections do happen somewhere else, it's normally bad.

It easily goes both ways.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:09 AM

Alex Capownt is on a distinguished road

i think if it's unsecured it's not illegal.
if you can't secure your network you're being lazy and halfassed.
suing someone because you were lazy or halfassed is moronic.

however, breaking into a secured network should be and is illegal.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:05 AM
Administrator

Bryce W will become famous soon enough

I agree with Alex's laws, they seem to make the most sense. However, it isnt likely to happen unless the governments crack down on the wireless device makers to make it easy for the every day person to put some sort of security on their router. Perhaps something in the "Easy Setup" that like:
Power on > Name Device > Connection Type > DHCP > Set Security Key > Reboot > Finish

For advertising rates, Technibble product support (questions, replacements etc..) please email: support [at] technibble.com