Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 12-28-2009, 08:45 AM

kshunt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best Way To Find Someone To Subcontract

Hello Everyone

I am interested in approaches some of you have taken in making partnerships with other for various things you want to outsource or subcontract. Should I just post something in my local area job boards?

My interest lies in needing to find someone to address any server/network problems for my business clients that I might not be comfortable dealing with or need additional expertise.

Any insight, suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

technology drives us
Old 12-28-2009, 01:12 PM

Alan22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are there any computer clubs in your area for computer professionals? I'm thinking that would be a great place to meet experienced computer professionals you can develop relationships with.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:00 PM

ProTech Support is on the way

Try looking at your local chamber of commerce.

Technibble is a place for professionals, so lets keep it professional.

ProTech Hosting - Website Hosting, Domain Registration, & Internet Services!

Special discount on website hosting for TechNibble members, send me a message for more information!
Old 12-28-2009, 10:06 PM

kshunt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, both good ideas.

What about trying to partner with another small computer business in town - would that be a bad idea?

I have to admit, I am very worried about bringing someone else into my business - would worry they would either try and steal my business or not do a good job - and I would be the responsible party.

But my business is starting to get to the point where I will need some help soon in order to grow. Only so many hours in a day, plus I am still working my regular full time job at night

technology drives us
Old 12-28-2009, 10:22 PM

Alan22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've run into the same concerns. I had a guy who did a terrible job for a couple of clients and another who would try to take clients by undercutting my fees. Finding someone is easy. Finding someone who's trustworthy and knowledgeable can sometimes be a challenge. However, when you're trying to grow a business you need to start somewhere.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:02 PM

rsavoia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to rsavoia

I believe in subcontracting as a way to expand your business. I have done it myself. As Alan said the key is to find others you can trust but there are ways to do it. We discussed this topic on The Force Field podcast a couple of times in the past and I plan to do it again in the future.

Cut-throat competition doesn't cut it anymore. Partnerships with peers, vendors, and would-be competitors are becoming more important as we all find ways to survive and grow our businesses in today's world economy.

To quote Red Green, "Remember, we're all in this together."
Episode 68 - How To Quit Your Job and Start a Computer Business Part 1
Old 12-30-2009, 05:10 AM

CompConfig is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to CompConfig

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]Rick I agree 100% small business owners need to work together[/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 01-01-2010, 06:51 PM

veedar is on a distinguished road

Just a thought but perhaps creating a "Help Wanted" section on Technibble might be a useful way to match those with extra work to farm out and those seeking extra work.

In my case I'm looking to make contacts to off load extra work I have within the local Boston, USA area.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:25 AM
VIP

callthatgirl is a jewel in the roughcallthatgirl is a jewel in the roughcallthatgirl is a jewel in the rough

I went the subcontractor route last year and decided I will go with payroll employees, even with PT here in a month. Mostly because I want more control over my business and clients.

With having payroll...yes, more paperwork headaches, but knowing that my business is on the line and my clients are taken care of well, with training and monitoring employees, I feel more secure that I'm doing a good job and building my brand the right way.

With opening a 2nd location because I want to expand, I will have 2 PT employees and feel much better about that than contractors.