Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Networking

Technibble Sponsor

Old 12-22-2009, 06:15 PM

JW The Computer Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JW The Computer Guy
Default How to make a router act as a switch?

Hey guys, I recently got Bell as my ISP, and I want to set up my D-Link WBR-1310 as a switch, since Bell's modems have a built-in router. How do you do this, I'm stumped. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:24 PM

thecoldone06 is on a distinguished road

I haven't played with that D-Link so I'm not sure if you can turn off the routing capability but you might be able to do something like post number two says in this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/27...k-1310-network

Let us know what you come up with.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:39 PM

DarDar is on a distinguished road

From the manual for that model:

w w w.dlink.com/products/?pid=WBR-1310&tab=3

If you are connecting the D-Link router to another router to use as a wireless access point and/or switch, you will have
to do the following before connecting the router to your network:
• Disable UPnP
• Disable DHCP
• Change the LAN IP address to an available address on your network. The LAN ports on the router cannot
accept a DHCP address from your other router.
To connect to another router, please follow the steps below:

1. Plug the power into the router. Connect one of your computers to the router (LAN port) using an Ethernet cable.
Make sure your IP address on the computer is 192.168.0.xxx (where xxx is between 2 and 254). Please see the
Networking Basics section for more information. If you need to change the settings, write down your existing settings
before making any changes. In most cases, your computer should be set to receive an IP address automatically in
which case you will not have to do anything to your computer.
2. Open a web browser and enter 192.168.0.1 and press Enter. When the login window appears, set the user
name to admin and leave the password box empty. Click OK to continue.
3. Click on Advanced and then click Advanced Network. Uncheck the Enable UPnP checkbox. Click Save Settings
to continue.
4. Click Setup and then click Network Settings. Uncheck the Enable DHCP Server server checkbox. Click Save
Settings to continue.
5. Under Router Settings, enter an available IP address and the subnet mask of your network. Click Save Settings to
save your settings. Use this new IP address to access the confguration utility of the router in the future. Close the
browser and change your computer’s IP settings back to the original values as in Step 1.
6. Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the router and reconnect your computer to your network.
7. Connect an Ethernet cable in one of the LAN ports of the router and connect it to your other router. Do not plug
anything into the WAN port of the D-Link router.
8. You may now use the other 3 LAN ports to connect other Ethernet devices and computers. To confgure your wireless
network, open a web browser and enter the IP address you assigned to the router. Refer to the Confguration and
Wireless Security sections for more information on setting up your wireless network.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:47 PM

PCSupportGlasgow will become famous soon enough

simple answer

set gateway of your dlink as the routers nat ip
give your dlink an ip in the range if you main router (unless you want seperate netwrk)
turn off dhcp in you dlink
and make sure it just the normal switch ports that cable plugged into