Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 11-25-2009, 09:31 PM

PCRepairWV is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to PCRepairWV Send a message via MSN to PCRepairWV Send a message via Yahoo to PCRepairWV Send a message via Skype™ to PCRepairWV
Unhappy What to do when your family isn't behind you anymore

So since I've started my business I've noticed that people are trying to always get me "real" jobs. Even my family is starting to tell me about companies hiring for an IT guy. My biggest problem is I've always had the entrepreneurial spirit and I can honestly say that I've known since I was in about second grade that I WAS going to start an IT support business. It's always been my forte, and it's been my LIFE.

I love the fact that I can make myself into anything I want by owning my own businesses. My question is, what do you guys do when people are always bombarding you with job offers and everything? I don't want to be stupid and turn down a job offer that I should have taken, but at the same time I'm too hard headed to give up my dreams I've had my ENTIRE life, literally.

I'd even LOVE to start up some other businesses. I'm good with computers but I'm almost wondering if it's time to take advantage of the fact not to keep fixing them and designing web sites. But maybe I should take advantage of my creative ability to make web sites, brochures, cards, fliers, and other things, and start some other businesses with zero overheard on my marketing materials. I mean, just the web site itself is worth well over $750 (what I charge for a basic wordpress blog site).

Just some things floating around in my head for you all to comment on. Happy Turkey Day to those who celebrate it!!!

Justin M. Waugh, Owner
JTekNet
West Virginia Computer Repair
Old 11-25-2009, 09:36 PM

soho-integration is an unknown quantity at this point

When you say family, do you mean Mom and Dad? Or Wife and Kids?
Old 11-25-2009, 09:39 PM

PCRepairWV is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to PCRepairWV Send a message via MSN to PCRepairWV Send a message via Yahoo to PCRepairWV Send a message via Skype™ to PCRepairWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by soho-integration View Post
When you say family, do you mean Mom and Dad? Or Wife and Kids?
I mean mom, dad, grandma. haha

I'm only 20 years old. My argument to them is I have no bills, nobody to support... it's the PERFECT time for me to be an entrepreneur. I don't know how there could possibly be a better time in life than fresh out of HIGH SCHOOL. I understand, MOST people aren't mature enough because they are still in college partying and acting stupid. I've never been that way. I've always been a number cruncher and exceptionally intelligent, not to mention, mature for my age. I wasn't exagerating at all when I said I've been wanting to start a business since I was in second grade. haha

Justin M. Waugh, Owner
JTekNet
West Virginia Computer Repair
Old 11-25-2009, 09:47 PM

NickCat11 is on a distinguished road

It's your life and you have to do what makes you happy. If you're confident you can be successful in starting your own business then I say go for it. The worse that can happen is that you fail and if so, so what. You simply pick up the pieces and move forward. There are always going to be jobs available so don't think you're going to be missing out if you pass on one now. Good luck with whatever you choose
Old 11-25-2009, 09:52 PM

K007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't remember who said this :
"Him who loves his profession, will never work a day in his life"

If you love what you're doing, it doesn't feel like work. Is a way of life.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:56 PM

K007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confucius said this:

OK, I found it.
It was Confucius who said that and it sounds like this:

"Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life. " - Confucius
Old 11-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Simmy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Simmy

You sound exactly like me tbh - I knew before I went to college that I wanted to start up on my own and I felt being 20 was the right age to try starting on my own as I had nothing to lose. Stick to your guns and just show them that it can work.

Why do they think a "proper" job would be any better?

One of the beauties of working for yourself is you can diversify easily and take on new types of work. If you don't do the following already, I would suggest looking into laptop repair (mobo replacements/resoldering power jacks/LCD replacement), data recovery and web design.

Computer Repair Bristol | Bristol IT Support
Vidahost Discount Code | FreeAgent Discount Code | PM Me For A TeamViewer Discount Code
Old 11-25-2009, 10:34 PM

studiot is on the way

And I thought it was only us Brits who were so stuck-in-the-mud.

Go prove your American Dream.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:32 PM

cmonova will become famous soon enough

I think you should listen to them and take the job they are telling you about...How's that for a different answer

You say about your computer business and then you say "maybe I should take advantage of my creative......" and start some other businesses.....

Maybe your family has heard you say these things and they believe that just maybe you really are unsure what exactly you want to do and they feel the best route is the safest route.

You say your argument to them is you have no bills, nobody to support...So i'm wondering where do you live and what do you eat? I am hoping your answer is not "home" otherwise it reinforces what I said earlier about your family wanting what they think is best for you.

Just figured i'd go with the other side of the fence on this one.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:00 AM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonova View Post
I think you should listen to them and take the job they are telling you about...How's that for a different answer
+1. Maybe they think you need to get some experience working for a shop under someone else doing this work professionally before you go on your own. I'm not trying to be mean by saying take the hint.