Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Microsoft Windows

Technibble Sponsor

Old 08-23-2007, 03:51 PM

thecoldone06 is on a distinguished road
Default Malware driving me nuts!

I have an IBM T60 Thinkpad and am about to throw it out the window. I somehow have come across malware. I am usually very careful about going to sites and have not gotten infected but I now have a bug. I was researching portable applications and somehow got infected. I ran ad-aware and spybot in both normal and safe mode. It detected everything and got rid of it. Now every once in a while a popup will come up but the most annoying part is 75% of the time when i boot it up, explorer and other thinkvantage applications (such as my mouse driver) won't startup. This causes my desktop not to come up and i am unable to use my mouses scroll button (very annoying). Does anyone know of anything else i can try to get rid of whatever is causing this?
Old 08-23-2007, 06:00 PM

gunslinger has a spectacular aura aboutgunslinger has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to gunslinger

If it were my computer I would boot up using hiren's boot CD, and run a few more scans on it with a good antivirus. If that failed I would back up all my stuff and reinstall, then run a virus/malware scan on my stuff before putting it back on the laptop. question: are you 100% sure its a software problem?
Old 08-23-2007, 06:47 PM

thecoldone06 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
If it were my computer I would boot up using hiren's boot CD, and run a few more scans on it with a good antivirus. If that failed I would back up all my stuff and reinstall, then run a virus/malware scan on my stuff before putting it back on the laptop. question: are you 100% sure its a software problem?
I have tried Hiren's Boot CD and for some reason i always get errors when i try to run any application from it. I'm trying to get UBCD4Win but am having problems getting a microsoft copy of XP with SP2. All i have are OEM cd's which it doesn't like.

I'm pretty sure it's a software issue as when explorer does load, everything is fine including my mouse. If it doesn't load, i can press alt, ctrl, del and get into task manager and manually start it. if i do that it loads the desktop just none of the other thinkvantage apps.