Go Back   Technibble Forums > Other Discussions > General Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 11-04-2009, 10:13 PM

NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Monitors over 28 inches ?

I have several Hanns-G 28" monitors in my shop and they are great for showing customers stuff when they drop in. I would like to go to a larger size however it seems once you go above 30" the prices on monitors just seem to skyrocket.

When I look at "TV" monitors 30" or above the prices don't skyrocket. I notice they all have HDMI, DVI and VGA inputs so what am I missing?.

I know before digital TV anything a computer showed on a TV looked like crap, but today TV monitors seem to be able to handle higher resolultions like this one:

http://biz.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ku=L49-3230 BX
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Response Time: 4 ms
I am not a "gamer", just a regular PC user so I dont need the very best graphics. So can we show a good 1280 x 720 display on these "TV" monitors or am I missing something ?
Old 11-04-2009, 11:54 PM

JosephLeo is on a distinguished road

So long as your computers output matches the tv's input you can display at max resolution of that TV.

Note though that 720p has three common different resolutions....1280 x 720 is standard 720p then there is 1280x768, 1360x768, 1366x768. Very rarely you will find 1280x800, 1440x900 and 1680x1050 though in televisions.

I've created many HTPC setups (all of which I now recommend a PS3 now instead) and found that a tv is just a big monitor and I've never had any trouble setting one up.So, go ahead and buy your TV.

ALSO- 2048 x 1152 is the second highest resolution available (apart from super monitors like QuadHD, or 4K) there is and the smaller screen models are actually cheaper than the same sized 1920x1200's.That resolution is 16:9 btw, so it's not odd.

Edit: I forgot to mention. 720p looks horrible on a PC especially after you hit the 32" mark. 28" is more than enough so just get a 1920 x 1200 monitor and be done with it.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:27 AM

NickCat11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJimbo View Post
I have several Hanns-G 28" monitors in my shop and they are great for showing customers stuff when they drop in. I would like to go to a larger size however it seems once you go above 30" the prices on monitors just seem to skyrocket.

When I look at "TV" monitors 30" or above the prices don't skyrocket. I notice they all have HDMI, DVI and VGA inputs so what am I missing?.

I know before digital TV anything a computer showed on a TV looked like crap, but today TV monitors seem to be able to handle higher resolultions like this one:

http://biz.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ku=L49-3230 BX
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Response Time: 4 ms
I am not a "gamer", just a regular PC user so I dont need the very best graphics. So can we show a good 1280 x 720 display on these "TV" monitors or am I missing something ?
Not to go off topic but Jimbo, how do you like those Hanns monitors? I was looking at the 28" on Newegg to replace my monitor at home with. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:59 AM

ProTech Support is on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCat11 View Post
Not to go off topic but Jimbo, how do you like those Hanns monitors? I was looking at the 28" on Newegg to replace my monitor at home with. Thanks.
I recently bought a 22" or 23" (don't recall the exact size at this very moment) for a good friend of mine. It had surprisingly good response and a nice picture. Grant it, the picture was not as "sharp" as I have seen on some other monitors, but for the price it was satisfying.

Technibble is a place for professionals, so lets keep it professional.

ProTech Hosting - Website Hosting, Domain Registration, & Internet Services!

Special discount on website hosting for TechNibble members, send me a message for more information!
Old 11-05-2009, 02:54 AM

NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCat11 View Post
Very nice. My main work monitor is the Hanns HG281D and everyone who comes into the shop is amazed how big and sharp it is.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:05 AM

I think Hanns uses either Samsung, or NEC screens. I've never opened one up myself- but I am going off of quality since Hannspree makes some pretty damned good screens.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:16 AM

NickCat11 is on a distinguished road

Great, looks like I'll treat myself early for Christmas
Old 11-05-2009, 09:17 AM

Mouse Mate is an unknown quantity at this point

My desktop goes to a standard 19" widescreen LCD monitor and also to my 37" 1080p Samsung LCD via DVI. I must say it looks fannytastic on the big screen.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse Mate View Post
My desktop goes to a standard 19" widescreen LCD monitor and also to my 37" 1080p Samsung LCD via DVI. I must say it looks fannytastic on the big screen.
mhmm, but if it were 720p the OS fonts would have to be all set to bold by default because they would look almost unreadable and ugly...believe me
Old 11-09-2009, 10:53 AM

frostbyte5014 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to frostbyte5014 Send a message via Yahoo to frostbyte5014

I bought a Vizio 32" VOJ320 1080p Widescreen LCD HDTV about six months ago for $550 on ebay and I love it. You can get it for less than that now.

• 32" at 1920x1080, 1300:1 contrast ratio, 480 cd/m2 brightness
  • 6.5ms response time, ATSC/NTSC/QAM tuner, 3x HDMI / 2x Component inputs