Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 11-01-2009, 05:13 PM

drewm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Utilizing Blogs

Hi, all. I have been considering starting a blog for my business, but I am not entirely certain what content people would expect from it. I have a website, a listing in the online yellow pages, Google and Yahoo local and an account on most social media sites, so this is more about information than getting my presence out there, I suppose (though a little extra presence wouldn't be a bad thing). Who here uses a business blog and what do you do your posts on? Also, which blog site do you use? I apologize if this has been covered, i couldn't find it when I searched. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:16 PM

PDXMicro is on the way

I use word press (incorporated into my site). Although I have not posted any blogs in a while... Generally, the best things I find to post is technology news. News about new operating systems, news about new viruses, etc. Honestly, re-phrasing a posting news that you get from technibble is not a bad idea. Technibble generally talks about some pretty good stuff.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXMicro View Post
I use word press (incorporated into my site). Although I have not posted any blogs in a while... Generally, the best things I find to post is technology news. News about new operating systems, news about new viruses, etc. Honestly, re-phrasing a posting news that you get from technibble is not a bad idea. Technibble generally talks about some pretty good stuff.
How does one go about integrating Wordpress into a web site? That sounds like a pretty spiffy idea. Do you just link to it or is actually a part of the site?
Old 11-01-2009, 05:24 PM

cmonova will become famous soon enough

If you site is html then you can use <iframe\> code or something to integrate it. But, biggest thing to me is people that want to put a blog on their site and their reasoning behind it.

Reason I say this is a blog is not something you should throw on there and then post "whenever"..You almost have to devote the time to it in order to make it worthwhile as far as a marketing tool.

Too many times people start blogs and then post once every few months and in those cases it pretty much is useless.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:26 PM

PDXMicro is on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewm View Post
How does one go about integrating Wordpress into a web site? That sounds like a pretty spiffy idea. Do you just link to it or is actually a part of the site?
A Google search turns up a decent amount of information. I didn't incorporate it into my website by myself. I hired a web designer to do that for me (way over my head). If you have some cash and want it done right, that's what I recommend. The Google search that I did pulled up a quite a few results:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Integrati...h_Your_Website
http://jonathanwold.com/tutorials/wo...s_integration/
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/220357

If you want to see what it looks like when it's fully integrated, you can go to: http://blog.pdxmicro.com

Good luck!
Old 11-01-2009, 05:31 PM

PDXMicro is on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonova View Post
If you site is html then you can use <iframe\> code or something to integrate it. But, biggest thing to me is people that want to put a blog on their site and their reasoning behind it.

Reason I say this is a blog is not something you should throw on there and then post "whenever"..You almost have to devote the time to it in order to make it worthwhile as far as a marketing tool.

Too many times people start blogs and then post once every few months and in those cases it pretty much is useless.
True, but it also leaves a good impression and can ultimately give you better SEO as well.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:55 PM

AtYourService will become famous soon enough

iframes are generally a bad idea for websites

wordpress is real simple to install on your webserver and there is a boatload of templates you can use for your layout. if you didnt want it as your main page you could have a link to the blog on your mainpage i.e. yoursite/blog or even make make a subdomain blog.yoursite.com
Old 11-01-2009, 10:53 PM

LunchBox is an unknown quantity at this point

Since a blog can help the website ranking is it better to have a blog at another website or incorporated into my own?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:00 PM

cmonova will become famous soon enough

It really does not matter where the blog is as long as it's worked.

And "yes" "good impression and can ultimately give you better SEO as well"...That is all true, but like I said if they are not updated on a continual basis it really becomes a mute point.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:19 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I think you answered my question. I appreciate it. :-)