Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 10-30-2009, 01:14 AM

RicoS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UBCD Question

I have created a couple of boot disks and have no problem with the XP OS....When attempting to to do diagonostic on a Vista OS, the hardware diagostic tools would not even open up......is there a different boot disk for Vista or has anyone else has this issue? I could run different virus scans on the XP machine without installing the actual program, but on Vista, it installed the program......just curious.....
Old 10-30-2009, 05:37 AM

LunchBox is an unknown quantity at this point

If my memory serves me correctly you need the CD of the OS you want to use the UBCD on. So, if you build one using XP CD then you can use on on XP but not on Vista.

You are asking about the UBCD but I am assuming you meant UBCD4Win . . . right?
Old 10-30-2009, 05:56 AM

NickCat11 is on a distinguished road

Here's a quote from there site...

Can I build UBCD4Win with Windows® Vista?

There are dramatic changes when you compare XP to Vista. Several new capabilities have been added but too many things have changed. Currently you can not use your Vista DVD as a "source" to build UBCD4Win. We are working on either creating a separate Vista version of the project or making a version that can be build with either XP or Vista source files.
However, you can build your UBCD4Win disc on a Vista system. A few members of the development team and myself have been testing UBCD4Win on Vista computers since version 3.04. I am personally building and updating all builds of UBCD4Win only on my Vista computer. I want to ensure that users can at least still build UBCD4Win on Vista systems as long as they have an XP source. Currently the only issue with running UBCD4WinBuilder on a Vista system is UAC. Our builder must be "run as Administrator" even if you are currently signed in as an Administrator. None of our current postprocessing scripts are effected by UAC so the build should run smoothly.
You can boot your Vista system with UBCD4Win but use caution. First, if you used 2k3 as your "source" to build UBCD4Win do NOT use that CD on a Vista system it will damage the Vista restore points. There have been a few bad reports with other Bart PE based boot CD's, but the cause of the problem has been a few incompatible tools (mostly registry restore software). By default there are no programs know to cause damage to a Vista system when UBCD4Win is booted on it. Still please use caution with Vista systems.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Methical will become famous soon enough

I booted up UBCD4Win on my Vista laptop. I found it incredibly slow lol .
Is that normal?

And when I was scanning with MBAM, it was scanning the X: directory, and I couldn't find an option for it to scan the C: drive. Same with a few other apps. And it was in another language; but I found an answer for that.

I did add all the cleaning tools in the build, I double checked; and triple checked. But they aren't in the Start menu in UBCD4Win.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:10 AM

LunchBox is an unknown quantity at this point

I was able to boot vista with UBCD I think only once I had odd problems. But that would be understandable since I used a XP cd to build it. It should work cause but I would not expect it to function as it should.