Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Software Applications

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-11-2007, 08:57 AM

chillihead is on a distinguished road
Default UBCD Boot CD Question...

I just compiled and built my first UBCD Boot CD. I have been sampling the Virus and Spyware removal programs that come as plugins with it. AVG, AVAST Etc... I notice that most of these alert me when I update them using the UBCD build program that these are (FreeWare) versions and so have (restricted) or minimal features that are available in the Full versions? So, does this mean these will only do a (partial) scan or (partial) cleanup of virus's and or Spyware found when I use them?

This is such a well built recovery cd, I would like to use this as my primary cleaner cd when I go to on-site jobs, but if the programs are restricted, is it worth just paying a subscription to get the (Full) version BARTPE plugins for the ones I need?

Also, booting the recovery cd and doing scans, cleanups seem much faster than having to install programs within Windows and then updating them one by one. Do you guys use this method more? Seems more efficient.

Thanks...
Old 07-11-2007, 11:55 AM

greggh will become famous soon enough

What they usually mean by restricted is that they wont run resident. Which you dont need anyways.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:08 PM

chillihead is on a distinguished road

I notice that on the boot cd, AVAST seems to be the fastest virus scanner of the bunch. Then perhaps AVG. Which one would be the best for speed scanning of files and getting the job done quicker for the customer? Time is money!
Old 07-18-2007, 03:08 PM

focuz is on a distinguished road

Speed is not always the best approach. You will want to choose the scanner you believe picks up the most and cleans the best not that scans the fastest.

Yes, time is money. But the bill adds up if you have to scan twice because the first scan didn't clean the system correctly.