Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Hardware

Technibble Sponsor

Old 10-12-2009, 03:29 PM

0gr3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 0gr3 Send a message via MSN to 0gr3 Send a message via Yahoo to 0gr3
Default Gateway W340UA video died

I have a laptop come where it power up, I can hear the HDD spinning and spinning down so I think it is posting and loading into the OS.

It is Gateway W340UA. He was using it and the battery was dying so he plugged into a power source and the was a flash and the screen died. I first thought it was the screen so I hooked my monitor into it and pressed FN+f4 to switch to external but nothing. I am thinking it might be the video portion of the mother board might have had something failing and when the power was plugged in it over loaded the board and fried it.

I have not down any laptop hardware work before so not sure how to proceed. If I missed something noob lemme know because like I said don't know too much about laptop support.

Plus to relieve some members of the forum I suggested he go somewhere licensed he said he wanted me to do it.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:49 PM

rusty.nells is an unknown quantity at this point

First, remove the hard drive to protect the data. Then try to determine if it's actually POSTing. Try booting with minimal hardware, CPU and memory only, with and without the battery and with and without the adapter/charger.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to 0gr3 Send a message via MSN to 0gr3 Send a message via Yahoo to 0gr3

Okay great will do thx
Old 10-12-2009, 04:12 PM

NYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really nice

Check the AC adapter for correct voltage, just in case its way over and that killed it. If you have a universal adapter see if that boots the laptop.

If the AC did some kind of spike it could have cooked the machine or at least blown a fuse. This can be very tricky work and if you have no experience you wont likely fix it, however it can be a great machine to do some experimenting with.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:19 PM

I am not in front of it right now, stuck at my day job It also boots with the same symptoms above off the AC adaptor. Sorry for all the grammer mistakes above hammered it out quick. I do speak teh goods enlish :P