Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 02-05-2008, 09:50 PM

Ikonz101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting in the PC Repair Business?

Hello everyone.. I have been fixing and maintaining PCs for 10 years and I want to take it to the next level.. What would be the best route to get into the business of fixing and maintaining PCs? (I do not want to start a business but work for someone right now) Is college or certification the way to go? I was thinking that getting the A+ certification would be the best way of going. I would love to hear any advice for getting a job in this industry.

Thank You
Shawn (Ikonz101)
Old 02-06-2008, 01:00 AM

I did some research on these forums and found some answers about my question. It seems that the experience is usually the way to go but getting that experience is not all that easy. The certs look good if you are going to work for a company. What I do not understand is that you also need 2 years of college and 5 years of experience in some cases. What ever happened to on the job training? Anyway any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Ikonz101
Old 02-06-2008, 01:17 AM

generalj is an unknown quantity at this point

You say you been fixing and maintaining PC's for 10 years but you want to know how to take it to the next level? You also say that you want to work for someone and not start your own business.

So I am assuming your PC repair experience of 10 years is mostly personal type stuff you do as a hobby etc.

Well if you just want to get a job in PC repair and work for someone then an A+ cert can be favorable in the eyes of an employer. I would also suggest getting the Desktop Support Technician cert from Microsoft, which is mostly about troubleshooting and installing XP and its Microsoft products (ie. MS Office, outlook, internet explorer) or the new MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician.

These are really nice entry certs for any IT professional to have. Although not needed necessarily, because a lot of employers realize that hands on experience out ways a cert. They do however show an employer that you take this profession above others. They will help you get an interview its then that you have your experience and knowledge land you the job.

The Desktop Support cert is fairly easy especially if you have been doing computer work for 10 years. I studied for two weeks for that cert and pretty much aced it. I had bought a book to help study and it was a joke then a buddy gave me the Microsoft Press published book for the cert and it was awesome so I would suggest if you want to study and buy a book definitely get the Microsoft Press published books.

Other then that I would check out job search sites and jsut build a good resume and post away. You can do that now while you are getting certified and may get an interview and or a job.

Anyways, try companies like Comcast, Qwest, Verison etc. they will take someone with good character and experience over someone with jsut certs. and the knowledge you gain at a corporate place like those is invaluable but don't limit to just these places apply for anyone you see so you can get in the door. It may not be now or it may be next year when you land a decent job just depends on how you "Market" yourself.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:22 AM

I guess I could also say it depends on exactly what you want.

The certs I mentioned above are good for any IT professional to try and obtain.

But do you want to be more of a system admin, network admin, analysis etc?

If you want to work for a good corporation as a system admin etc. then you would really like to have a college degree in computer science or a MCSE/MCSA from Microsoft.

It really depends on exactly what you want.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
So I am assuming your PC repair experience of 10 years is mostly personal type stuff you do as a hobby etc.
Exactly what I have been doing I also wonder how you would show your experience if you have been doing it as a hobby? I have grown up on computers my whole life and have taught myself most of the things I know through trial and error. I have also been taught a considerable amount from others. Its a hobby I know I can turn into a job career that I would enjoy doing and then someday maybe open up a shop of my own.

Another question that just came to mind: How does the PC Repair career forecast for the future look? Will it still be in demand in 5 to 10 years? My personal opinion says yes but my opinion isn't always right

Quote:
I would also suggest getting the Desktop Support Technician cert from Microsoft, which is mostly about troubleshooting and installing XP and its Microsoft products (ie. MS Office, outlook, internet explorer) or the new MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician.
Thank you for the heads up on these certs. I didn't even know they existed. I will definitely be doing some research on these.

I wish we had Quest in upstate New York. When I lived in Denver we had it but upstate New York doesn't have the greatest economy. That seems to be another problem with finding a job in the PC Repair field...there aren't many jobs in the Syracuse area. Unless of course I try to work at Geek Squad or Fire Dog. Any reviews on these 2 companies in these forums??

You are right...it all depends on how I market myself..but I want to at least have a few certs before I try. That way I will feel more confident going into an interview. Thank you for your help thus far generalj. Much appreciated and any additional information will be much appreciated as well.

Take Care and God Bless
Ikonz101
Old 02-06-2008, 09:00 PM

Well, I'll tell you what, I never had one cert when I was hired with Comcast at a level 2 IT technician. I learned everything about computers by growing up around them.

All you do to show experience when you are home taught is list in your resume the things you can do. (and can really do, don't want to get burned in an interview) ie. install windows XP/vista, recover data from corrupted HDD, remove virus and spy ware. connect multiple PC's in a LAN using tcp-ip etc. etc.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:04 AM

Thanks for the heads up generalj. I will put out my resume to various places in the region and see how everything transpires while I work on getting my certs done. Thanks again.

Ikonz101
Old 04-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalGomez View Post
well, cert can help a lot but experience is what you need. My suggetion will be to start your own business. why don't you try cshotline....
It's a 3 year old thread
Old 04-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Banned

Xander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalGomez View Post
well, cert can help a lot but experience is what you need. My suggetion will be to start your own business. why don't you try cshotline....
Spammer reported. In his intro another 'new user' pitched the same crap.

I'm off to WOT to report CSHotline as spammers.
http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/cshotline.com