Go Back   Technibble Forums > Site Stuff > Repair Tool of the Week Suggestions

Technibble Sponsor

Old 11-06-2009, 03:19 AM

bsd13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Winpatrol

Anyone use winpatrol? It's one of the programs I can't live without but no one I ever talk to seems to know what I'm going on about.

I've been using it for about 2 years now and its monitoring and alerting has saved my butt more than a few times.

I can't post active links but go to winpatrol.com to take a look at it.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:22 AM

NYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really nice

Looks alot like autoruns to me.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:45 AM

Tweak is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Advanced msconfig and a "watcher" for added startup items, not a bad program and comes in a free as well as paid version, the developer must love terriers as he has used "Scotty" for a long time now. Also can be used portable. I am familiar with it and it isn't bad, I prefer Autoruns for more detailed information as it pertains to startup entries.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:47 AM

Similar, yes, but winpatrol tracks changes in real time so you get an alert when something is about to make a change to the system. Then you can either approve it or not. There's more to it than that but that's one "selling" point.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:09 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd13 View Post
Similar, yes, but winpatrol tracks changes in real time so you get an alert when something is about to make a change to the system. Then you can either approve it or not. There's more to it than that but that's one "selling" point.
That would be why I mentioned that is a "watcher" app, one such as StartupMonitor or Spybots resident watcher.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
That would be why I mentioned that is a "watcher" app, one such as StartupMonitor or Spybots resident watcher.
Yeah sorry I was responding to nyjimbo, and was already in the "new reply" section so didn't see your post until after the fact.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:55 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd13 View Post
Yeah sorry I was responding to nyjimbo, and was already in the "new reply" section so didn't see your post until after the fact.
I open so many tabs by the time I get to reply to some of them I end up not seeing things as well, no worries. I like that they offer a free portable version of WinPatrol I'll add again.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:58 AM

1101doc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WinPatrol

Autoruns for techs- WinPatrol for customers.

I believe that "ordinary" users (like my 82 yr old Mother) really benefit from Scotty. I tell them: "Scotty doesn't bark very often, but when he does, please pay attention."

Omce shown how to enable and disable auto-starts with WinPatrol, these folks can keep their processes under control themselves. Besides, it's a friendly program. Especially older customers like having a "watch dog" on their computers.

It's just a basic HIPS utility with auto-start control. Low resource demand and good user benefits.