Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 09-03-2007, 02:20 PM

youngwun0 is on a distinguished road
Question A Few Tech Questions

Hello all,

I have a few questions for all you techs out there with some experience or another.... now yesterday i was set to do 2 repairs for 2 friends one at 1:30pm the other at 3:30pm, now the first repair was a neighbor who had some form of malware/spyware on her very old compaq 2000 model 600MHz PC... i had to fix the issue in 2 hours on this PC Since her machine is very old and was very much infected i offered to just take the HDD home, reformat and reinstall windows with her old data and program listing and bring it back tomorrow (today) also i had to run and be at another location by 3:30pm her machine was simply too slow to run a virus scanner lol, anyway my questions are...

1) What do you guys usually do when you are removing viruses from a very old and sluggish machine such as the one i mentioned ?

2) What methods are best in deleting and fully removing malware/spyware ? (i hear spybot S&D running from UBCD4WIN was best but time was running out so i took the easy way out on the first job lol)

3) How long does it usually take you guys to remove these viruses (on average) ? (For some reason i get the impression that i do it to slow and the client is thinking negative about my skills, i am very insecure at times idk lol)

Any other tips or comments are welcome, at the moment i am just starting out fixing neighbors computers so I'm not sure how the entire game works, thanks greatly.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:17 PM

swany971 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I do most of my work at home on my bench. It works out better that way for me since I can be working on more than one computer, and I don't have the customer breathing down my neck. For virus/malware removal, I just remove the hard drive & place it into my bench pc & run Kaspersky, then Webroot SS. Depending on the size of the hard drive it usually takes a couple hours. I'll tell a customer it will be a few days to fix it. Usually I'll have it done sooner, but I like to give myself time. Sometimes that works. Other times, if Windows is totally screwed up, it's just better to backup & reload. I ran into this last week when I got a pc & thought I could fix it by running scans..well Internet Explorer had been deleted, and there were windows errors all over the place. I spent way too much time trying to fix it, & reloaded in the end.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:23 PM

breadtrk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngwun0 View Post
Hello all,

I have a few questions for all you techs out there with some experience or another.... now yesterday i was set to do 2 repairs for 2 friends one at 1:30pm the other at 3:30pm, now the first repair was a neighbor who had some form of malware/spyware on her very old compaq 2000 model 600MHz PC... i had to fix the issue in 2 hours on this PC Since her machine is very old and was very much infected i offered to just take the HDD home, reformat and reinstall windows with her old data and program listing and bring it back tomorrow (today) also i had to run and be at another location by 3:30pm her machine was simply too slow to run a virus scanner lol, anyway my questions are...

1) What do you guys usually do when you are removing viruses from a very old and sluggish machine such as the one i mentioned ?

2) What methods are best in deleting and fully removing malware/spyware ? (i hear spybot S&D running from UBCD4WIN was best but time was running out so i took the easy way out on the first job lol)

3) How long does it usually take you guys to remove these viruses (on average) ? (For some reason i get the impression that i do it to slow and the client is thinking negative about my skills, i am very insecure at times idk lol)

Any other tips or comments are welcome, at the moment i am just starting out fixing neighbors computers so I'm not sure how the entire game works, thanks greatly.

That won't work. You will need to take the whole tower with you.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:40 AM

gunslinger has a spectacular aura aboutgunslinger has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to gunslinger

breadtrk is right , that will not work. You have to install windows on the system its going to be on , not just on the HD.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:18 AM

youngwun0 is on a distinguished road

@ swany971 - I think that sounds better, i think it is just the thought of someone breathing down my neck that i seem to think they are thinking i am taking to long or w/e

@ breadtrk and gunslinger - Yeah, i learned that the hard way lol after taking about 3 hours to reformat, reinstall windows xp and reinstall all the programs she had, i came back to her place to pop in the drive...... and nothing... the HDD would not boot so in the end i had to do it all over again this time i brought the PC home and i am finally finished (hopefully) lol
Old 09-21-2007, 10:01 AM

jazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, i usually i tell the customer that it's gonna way too long to fix a virus problem on a old pc, and offer them the option to reformat the pc and backup their data.

This would usually not only clean all infections, but also installing from my super NLite'd XP it makes it go faster than before !

Also, i'll be looking in sysprep'ing images and restoring them on the clients pc.

I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:08 PM

Blues is on a distinguished road

Main problem on some really old PCs is they may not even be Windows XP. I usually tell them I can do a scan however on this machine it will take sometime. I also make mention that while thier computer is perfectly fine they may wish to invest in a new one soon as they may find themselves needing me more and more. If I preform the scan there I will look into some items on that PC or start helping them look for thier disc that we may need. I also offer to look at any other PCs they have with any problems usually some minor issue comes to thier mind and it may just be a tip on how to get some things done.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:28 PM

jazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Well if its not windows xp, then its even better..

I used to Ghost or use some other imaging program to just restore windows 9x., on the client pc.

Best is to make the image in a virtual envoirnment.. Like VMware, or virtual pc, or QEMU etc.. works a charm and the restore is completed within 5 minutes. Be careful to not install any drivers on the virtual pc though.

Keep it as clean as possible, and also possibly start in safe mode and remove the chipset drivers etc. All these get detected again when u start the client pc after restoring the image.