Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Technibble Sponsor

Old 08-11-2013, 10:15 PM

JustInspired is a jewel in the roughJustInspired is a jewel in the roughJustInspired is a jewel in the rough
Default OMV NAS which Filesystem to use?

Hello all you Linux peeps!

I have installed OpenMediaVault on my little HP Microserver. SSD for the boot drive.

I have two 3TB Western Digital Red hard drives in a OMV mirror for data. Specifically I will be storing customers' drive images (large files) transferred via FTP or shares on the LAN.

What is the best filesystem to use for the mirror? I'm confused with all the options - Ext4, XFS, JFS etc.

Also, what is the recommended method of setting up shares on the NAS that will be accessed by my customers' Windows PCs?

Many thanks,

Julian

Kent Computer & Laptop Repairs
Kent Laptop Screen Replacement
Old 08-11-2013, 11:34 PM

SilverLeaf is a jewel in the roughSilverLeaf is a jewel in the roughSilverLeaf is a jewel in the rough

Ext4 would be my choice. Fast, stable, and well supported. Possibly more important, if something unfortunate happens, I know my data recovery software supports Ext4. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't support XFS or JFS.

My guides for using Parted Magic in the shop:

Hardware Testing With Parted Magic
Guide to Using ddrescue
Old 08-11-2013, 11:47 PM

JustInspired is a jewel in the roughJustInspired is a jewel in the roughJustInspired is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLeaf View Post
Ext4 would be my choice. Fast, stable, and well supported. Possibly more important, if something unfortunate happens, I know my data recovery software supports Ext4. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't support XFS or JFS.
Good point about the data recovery scenario. I hadn't thought that far ahead. Thank you.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:28 AM

SAG is a jewel in the roughSAG is a jewel in the roughSAG is a jewel in the rough

Been using OMV since pre alpha. Love it.
Ext4 all the way.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:41 AM

Thanks SAG. I thought I might hear from you. In fact it's been some of your previous posts about OMV that swayed me towards it

Any tips on setting up shares?

Old 08-12-2013, 12:24 PM

SAG is a jewel in the roughSAG is a jewel in the roughSAG is a jewel in the rough

No tipes needed, was designed to be intuitive.
Create RAID.
Create Filesystem(s) on RAID.
Create Shared Folders.
Then configure the services to share those folders.

My only tip is.... if you don't know why you need to use ACL, don't!
Old 08-15-2013, 10:43 AM

Just wanted to check in and say thanks guys.

My MicroServer is running like a dream. Got the two 3TB WD Red drives in a mirror. Saving up for two more.

I was able to get the share for my customer image dumps working with anonymous read/write access via explorer etc but I could not get the same share to do the same thing on FTP. I could log in anonymously but could not write or delete anything. I had to put in a user and password.

Love that this (like my old FreeNAS box) has a Recycle Bin! Great for those DOH! moments that happen when sleepily deleting stuff on a network share.