Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 12-15-2012, 07:22 PM

altrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordX View Post
The disk I got for win8 not only allows me to install without a key, it is an all in one disk with Win 8, Win 8 Pro, and Win 8 Pro w/ media center (both 32 and 64bit) - untouched (e.g. no loaders or cracks etc).
It is a combination disk using the MSDN images from microsoft. There is a post on other forums showing how to merge the different MS ISO files into an AiO disk - and this is what I found.

I don't think I can post a link to the download here - but there is a certain bay that if you are willing to sail to - will have the 'booty' you need.

It is 5.x gigs - so a dual layer dvd will be needed - or a usb drive.

Silly to have to go there considering it is not a cracked/illegal version.
But you are sure its perfectly safe. because why? You made it yourself from known media?

Using this disk kind of makes your tests invalid, because it's not something you would use on a clients machine.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:03 PM

LordX is on the way

I could download all of the untouched ISO files and put them together myself if I had the time - but finding one that is already done is nice.

Quote from the description of the one I found:

"No Windows 8 Settings were harmed in the making of this ISO.
No Programs are added.
No Unattended Settings were added to the installation.
No Registry Settings were modified.

Added ei.cfg to enable install list selection and Retail Channel.
Added data.dat to ProWMC to enable free WMC upgrade keys.
Added Info folder to installs to make more work for credit thieves.

Windows 8 Retail Channel Installation Indexes:
Windows 8 (x86), Windows 8 N (x86), Windows 8 Pro (x86),
Windows 8 Pro N (x86), Windows 8 Pro with Media Center (x86),
Windows 8 (x64), Windows 8 N (x64), Windows 8 Pro (x64),
Windows 8 Pro N (x64), Windows 8 Pro with Media Center (x64)

MSDN Sources:
en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso, en_windows_8_x86_dvd_915417.iso,
en_windows_8_n_x64_dvd_916091.iso, en_windows_8_n_x86_dvd_916097.iso

Thess 32-bit and 64-bit RTM Sources are the final Build 9200

Language: en-US (English - United States)

Tools used:
imagex for image compression and export
dism for MSU Hotfix integration, NetFx3 SXS Integration
oscdimg for ISO mastering

KB Files added via add-package dism:
KB2712101, KB2727528, KB2729462, KB2737084, KB2756872, KB2758246-v2,
KB2761094, KB2761226, KB2764870, KB2768703, KB2769034, KB2769165,
KB2770041, KB2770917, KB2771744, KB2771821, KB2777166, KB2778171,
KB2780342, KB2780523
Net 2.0-3.5.1 enabled by DISM using SXS folder in sources directory

KB Files NOT added:
KB2772501 - Unavailable for D/L 33kb IE10 iepropschema update"

Looks fine to me - and activated fine.

This uploader used the exact method that I would have to merge the various win8 versions into one ISO.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:11 PM

LordX is on the way

There is also one available from the same uploader that is 64bit only - which allows the recovery options on boot-up to work for 64bit installs.

I would assume that most of the installs these days will be 64bit since systems are all coming with 4gb+.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:28 PM

altrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordX View Post
I could download all of the untouched ISO files and put them together myself if I had the time - but finding one that is already done is nice.

Quote from the description of the one I found:

"No Windows 8 Settings were harmed in the making of this ISO.
No Programs are added.
No Unattended Settings were added to the installation.
No Registry Settings were modified.

Added ei.cfg to enable install list selection and Retail Channel.
Added data.dat to ProWMC to enable free WMC upgrade keys.
Added Info folder to installs to make more work for credit thieves

Windows 8 Retail Channel Installation Indexes:
Windows 8 (x86), Windows 8 N (x86), Windows 8 Pro (x86),
Windows 8 Pro N (x86), Windows 8 Pro with Media Center (x86),
Windows 8 (x64), Windows 8 N (x64), Windows 8 Pro (x64),
Windows 8 Pro N (x64), Windows 8 Pro with Media Center (x64)

MSDN Sources:
en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso, en_windows_8_x86_dvd_915417.iso,
en_windows_8_n_x64_dvd_916091.iso, en_windows_8_n_x86_dvd_916097.iso

Thess 32-bit and 64-bit RTM Sources are the final Build 9200

Language: en-US (English - United States)

Tools used:
imagex for image compression and export
dism for MSU Hotfix integration, NetFx3 SXS Integration
oscdimg for ISO mastering

KB Files added via add-package dism:
KB2712101, KB2727528, KB2729462, KB2737084, KB2756872, KB2758246-v2,
KB2761094, KB2761226, KB2764870, KB2768703, KB2769034, KB2769165,
KB2770041, KB2770917, KB2771744, KB2771821, KB2777166, KB2778171,
KB2780342, KB2780523
Net 2.0-3.5.1 enabled by DISM using SXS folder in sources directory

KB Files NOT added:
KB2772501 - Unavailable for D/L 33kb IE10 iepropschema update"

Looks fine to me - and activated fine.

This uploader used the exact method that I would have to merge the various win8 versions into one ISO.
Works for me. What could go wrong?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:44 PM

LordX is on the way

Altrenda - Instead of pointing out things that are wrong - perhaps you could use the time you are spending to create an AiO disk yourself that you could post for the rest of us to download. That would be helpful.

nline - since I am here simply trying to help others - I have a possible solution to your question.

Here is the scenario:

You get a system on your bench with no coa, and a bad hard drive with no recovery media.

You only want to use the disks you downloaded from technet - which require a key entered during install.

Quick solution that I thought of:

Replace hard drive (with new or in this case a temp).

Use a win7 install from cd or usb stick - install any version - no key entered.

Once system boots - rweverything will run - and you can use it to get the customers real key.

Now either re-format and install win8 or install the actual replacement hard drive, and begin win8 install - enter the key you found with rweverything.

Like I said above - I am just here trying to help others in the same boat as me.

Lets all try and be productive and find SOLUTIONS.

If someone out there wants to put together an AiO disk for us - that would be great - I found a guide at:

http://www.howtogeek.com/126093/how-...-install-disk/
Old 12-15-2012, 10:03 PM

nlinecomputers is just really nicenlinecomputers is just really nicenlinecomputers is just really nicenlinecomputers is just really nice

LordX there is no need to be condescending. I have no problem using modified media. I have a Universal or AIO Windows 7 disk that I made my self.

My concern was using PirateBay as a source of the ISO. I don't trust PirateBay ISO not to contain backdoors. Nor do I trust PirateBay will not have the Feds come kick there doors in with a search warrant and traceback IP addresses or have you not heard of Megaupload? I have a business to protect and will not risk my income to shortcuts that can get me or my clients infected or sued. There is absolutely NOTHING PRODUCTIVE about a SOLUTION that might put MY CLIENTS at risk.

Your link to howtogeek is good but still requires a key. Now is there a method to bypass the key that doesn't require an illegal hacked copy of windows? I've yet to find that. From what I can see your method risks a Product Activation error in the future. If I am wrong about that please correct me.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:13 PM

While I would like to spare your customers the perils of having install media from who knows where put on their computers, and nothing would make me happier than to spoon feed you an AIO, that's not the purpose of TN.

I come here mostly to learn and get advice, and give what little I can in return. But, like almost all here, I have a business to run and I feel better using things I know are good and will not come back and bite me in the butt.

We all do what we need to do and if this works for you, go for it. But your technique does not solve the problem I might have with Windows 8 activation issues.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:34 PM

RegEdit is on a distinguished road

So is there any point in buying the two Windows 8 OEM discs (32 bit / 64 bit)? I was posting this question last night. Still haven't purchased the discs.

Do most new computers not come with a USB recovery stick? I doubt any of my customers will create a backup or write down their product key. Is the product key found under "System" still?

Is LordX's method pretty much the only way to avoid telling the customer that they need to buy a new copy of Windows if their hard drive dies and they have no recovery stick?
Old 12-15-2012, 10:37 PM

LordX is on the way

"There is absolutely NOTHING PRODUCTIVE about a SOLUTION that might put MY CLIENTS at risk." - I agree - which was why I was putting it out there for us to find one - e.g. put togther an AiO disk - not being condescending.

altrenda and nline - the finding of the key with rweverything is the real solution. Once the key is found - it doesn't matter WHAT media you decide to use!

nline - you said: "From what I can see your method risks a Product Activation error in the future."

How did you come to that conclusion? Windows 8 uses SLP3.0 to auto activate if it detects the key in the BIOS - the only difficulty is getting that darn key. RWeverything solves that issue - and shows the ACTUAL UNIQUE key that is programed into the BIOS. Once those two match - activation is done.

Only if the end user were to CHANGE his or her product key would the SLP3.0 activation be broken.

The average end user will not even know there IS a product key - so we should be safe from that happening.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:41 PM

LordX is on the way

Regedit - So far the solution I posted is the only one I have found.

If you go to computer properties and then activation - it will show you the last 5 digits of the product key. So no customer will have their full product key unless for some reason their system came with a COA.

RWeverything for the win.

It doesn't matter if your disk makes you put in a key during install or not if you already have the key.