Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 09-02-2012, 03:47 AM

N E Day Pc Repair is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Microsoft Essentials Live (not Security)

My friend who's a tech called me today stumped, so I went over and we spent better part of the day, trying to fix it. Between googling , searching these forums and others and Microsoft still couldn't get anywhere so I figured I would throw it up here and see if anybody has ran into this.

It's a HP Laptop, Windows 7 64 bit, it had the zero virus and a few others that was eradicated. Tried to load up MSN messenger and it says missing wldlog.dll ok no biggy.
Tried finding options to fix that, found one that said it places that file in a different location and just copy it from there to the regular directory.

Couldn't find it on the machine at all, next was just un-install clear out registry and re-install and it would be fine. Wrong answer I found out after all that because I downloaded Microsoft essentials live and clicked to install.

5 seconds later it says done but didn't install anything, it says its still there but it was wiped clean out of the registry and the system. Went to control panel, programs to see if I by chance missed anything and its not there, searched through registry and not there.

So I'm pretty puzzled/frustrated at this point because I feel I've covered all bases.

So if anybody has any experience with this issue or thoughts I would welcome the input please.

Thank You
Old 09-02-2012, 12:21 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

Get the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and install that, run it, and remove any references it finds for the software you're trying to uninstall/reinstall. That may do the trick for you.

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Check out my videos on using various Foolish IT software.

Latest free tool: CryptoPrevent - Cryptolocker prevention for any OS. Current Version: 4.3.2

Also check out My Network Boot Setup details, and the comment thread.
Boot diag CDs over the network / deploy Windows installs with updates, drivers, and pre-installed apps in minutes!
Old 09-02-2012, 01:05 PM

ZenTree will become famous soon enough

Revo uninstaller is also worth a look
Old 09-02-2012, 01:36 PM

Nick- tried that as well, and Zen that's part of my tool kit alrdy :P and used it as well.

Thanks for the ideas
Old 09-02-2012, 10:24 PM

computergeek is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to computergeek

I would try and see if it's a local profile issue by using another user account to install the software.

Also if the PC was infected earlier, there could be a slight chance that some virus or malware\spyware has somehow hooked into a system process. I cant remeber if the microsoft installer service works in safe mode but you can try booting into safemode to try the installation.

Also just check to see if the installer service is running before you try and install the software. If so just kill msiexec.exe and try the installation.

Just a quick thought that might help..
Old 09-02-2012, 11:22 PM

Thanks computergeek, I totally forgot I could install in safe mode, ill try that soon as I can get back to the machine.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:39 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

Installer service doesn't run in Safe Mode... Unless you use D7 Start Installer Svc. in Safe Mode is on the tweaks tab.

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Check out my videos on using various Foolish IT software.

Latest free tool: CryptoPrevent - Cryptolocker prevention for any OS. Current Version: 4.3.2

Also check out My Network Boot Setup details, and the comment thread.
Boot diag CDs over the network / deploy Windows installs with updates, drivers, and pre-installed apps in minutes!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:36 AM

Thanks for the tip nick, ill try that, made arrangements to work on it in the morning so ill post if it works/doesn't work etc heh
Old 09-03-2012, 08:49 PM

Never mind, thanks all for the tips, apparently I concentrated too hard on the problem, cause the answer was under my nose.

Thank you all again

Last edited by N E Day Pc Repair; 09-04-2012 at 10:08 PM.