Go Back   Technibble Forums > Service Solutions > Servers

Technibble Sponsor

Old 09-01-2012, 06:00 PM

Paul Rodgers will become famous soon enough
Default Emergency Exchange 2010 Migration

Need a good walkthrough on migrating Exchange 2010 to a new box running Exchange 2010. I really only have one easy shot at doing this and it needs to be right without any fussing around afterwards trying to find why things don't work.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:18 PM

abbasmuraj is an unknown quantity at this point

Take a look at this post. http://www.msexchangegeek.com/2009/0...e-server-name/

We have used Swing Migration once and can highly recommend it. http://swingmigration.itproexperts.com/
Old 09-01-2012, 10:15 PM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

Oh man bad time....been working outside and just came in to shower and now heading out with wife on the bike for the evening.

Hopefully when you say "emergency"...you're not meaning today/tomorrow.

How many users?
Is there a new server in place already with Windows 'n Exchange on it?
Or do you have to move an existing install off of dying hardware onto just a new box?

I'll be around tomorrow for a bit (probably with a good hangover)...but can assist then if still needed.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
Oh man bad time....been working outside and just came in to shower and now heading out with wife on the bike for the evening.

Hopefully when you say "emergency"...you're not meaning today/tomorrow.

How many users?
Is there a new server in place already with Windows 'n Exchange on it?
Or do you have to move an existing install off of dying hardware onto just a new box?

I'll be around tomorrow for a bit (probably with a good hangover)...but can assist then if still needed.
By emergency I mean before the current machine dies. I'm pretty sure the squealing sound coming from one of the drives and the blinking yellow light is a bad thing.

Around 35 users. Did a backup of the whole Exchange installation and it was around 5 GB.

Decommissioned a backup DC and installed server 08 R2 on it in prep for Exchange 2010. Was considering utilizing my Datto unit to virtualize the machine, but the noise coming from the drive is keeping me from restarting the machine.

It has 3 x 80 GB SAS 15K drives in (assuming) RAID 5 that the Exchange install is on in addition to the 2 x 40 GB RAID 1 setup for the OS. I have a feeling that nothing good can come from just shoving a larger replacement in there.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:10 PM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

Quick reply...wife taking a while to get ready to go out (sheesh!)

OK...quick fix. Since it has RAID 1 OS/RAID 5 Infostore...and you state 1x drive is flipping out...replace the drive?

You have access to Datto....if you consider the server not worth spending the money to replace a drive on...do a backup, and do a bare metal push install to new hardware.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
Quick reply...wife taking a while to get ready to go out (sheesh!)

OK...quick fix. Since it has RAID 1 OS/RAID 5 Infostore...and you state 1x drive is flipping out...replace the drive?

You have access to Datto....if you consider the server not worth spending the money to replace a drive on...do a backup, and do a bare metal push install to new hardware.
No spares on hand and I'm assuming the best way to do it would be the same size drive. I can't get 80 GB drives from Dell so I would have to do some hunting.

The Datto option would work but I'm afraid to do the restart in order to finalize the install.

I just want something to run until I can do a proper fix.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:21 AM

Might have a better idea since I'm having issues following the walkthrough that was provided.

Since there are three drives I can wipe everything on that array out and rebuild it as RAID 1. Then since I have a nightly system state backup I can restore the system state.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-02-2012, 02:25 AM

TenYardFight will become famous soon enough

Paul, hopefully this works out. Stonecat is definitely the man to try to connect with tomorrow. While situations like this are manageable, I'm glad I don't have to worry about this at my hosted exchange clients.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:06 PM

codegreen is a jewel in the roughcodegreen is a jewel in the roughcodegreen is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Rodgers View Post
No spares on hand and I'm assuming the best way to do it would be the same size drive. I can't get 80 GB drives from Dell so I would have to do some hunting.
With both RAID 1 and 5 you can replace the failing disk with a larger capacity one. The only issue is that the additional space on the new drive after 80 GB would be wasted.

Code Green Technology:
Fredericton Computer Repair
Old 09-02-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Rodgers View Post
You are in NY.....the place we get spare parts (including drives) for older servers...at VERY low prices, is also in NY. So shipping would be quick for you.
http://serversupply.com/MFGR/DELL/HARD%20DRIVES/

To be honest....I'd swap the drive. Ensure you have good backups going right now, and just replace that failing/failed drive. Let the RAID do its job.

What make/model server is this?

Doing a server migration...lengthy process, unless you're doing this as a favor, it would be an expensive approach for the client. Failed drives in servers happen often, 1x tanked drive in a RAID 1 or RAID 5 or 6 or 10...IMO not cause for a migration to new hardware or hitting the panic button. Due diligence...order replacement drive, slap it in there...a few hours later she's running 100% again. Unless this current server is really old and rickety and not worth nursing along.