Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Networking

Technibble Sponsor

Old 08-20-2012, 07:29 PM

ell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_geek View Post
Aha! It was TCP auto-tuning and Remote Differential Compression. When I disabled these, the problem went away. Also check your anti-virus. If real time protection is enabled, it may be scanning every inbound and outbound file transfer.
There is no antivirus on the client, (no internet access) and I made a scan exception to the data folder on the host. I don't know if he'll want me to work on it anymore, but I will try your suggestions if I get the chance, thanks.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:19 AM

FremontPC will become famous soon enough

Curious, access speed slows down as the day goes on, but restarting both systems has no effect. What would change overnight?

Shut down the browser on the server and disconnect the modem. Modems these days typically are capable of routing.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:59 PM

angry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to angry_geek

Any update on this? ....

Old 08-23-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_geek View Post
Any update on this? ....
Just got a call, he's still having trouble with slowness, I just logged on remotely to the server and Removed Remote Differential Compression and set netsh interface tcp to global autotuning=disabled, giving that a try, but the client I cannot access remotely unfortunately so I could not do the same with it. Rebooted, he says its fast.....but we'll see if I get another call in a day or two.

Last edited by ell; 09-26-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontPC View Post
Curious, access speed slows down as the day goes on, but restarting both systems has no effect. What would change overnight?

Shut down the browser on the server and disconnect the modem. Modems these days typically are capable of routing.
there is no modem effecting this. The shared folder is directly connected via ethernet adapters by cable, the host has internet via verizon usb adapter.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:46 PM

NETWizz has a spectacular aura aboutNETWizz has a spectacular aura about

1. Uninstall any silly protocols basically to the Microsoft Standard. Basically, XP has Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft networks, QoS Packet Scheduler, and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Windows 7 Has all the same ones and also Internet Protocol Version 6, Link Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver
Link Layer Topology Discovery Responder... sometimes with Wireless you have AEGIS and VMWAre often adds teh VMWare Bridge Protocol.

1. Just don't add any extras like NETBEUI, AppleTalk, etc.

2. Do ALL the Windows Updates. Often these kinds of problems are silently fixed.

3. Update the NIC Drivers on both computers!

4. Check that they are set to BOTH AutoNegotiate. I.e. Setting one to Auto and the other to 1000 Full will NOT work! You MUST Match Speed & Duplex!

5. Check for CRC errors.

6. Are the cables right on ALL connectors not just 1 & 2; 3 & 6... Gigabit uses MORE pairs!

7. Cheap switches SUCK. Get rid of them. You want quality stuff that does Store and Forward with very low latency. Usually ProCurve, Cisco, Brocade... (Business Stuff) works well.

All this alone should be plenty without Jumbo Frames Generally, I use JUMBO Frames for Storage Networks and don't mix and match because it messes with the latency, but if the files are large this will fix it a LOT.

Next, Vista++ have SMB version 2. XP/2003- have SMB version 1.

In other words XP to Vista or XP to 7 or 2000 to 7 etc... default to SMB Version 1... same as XP to XP or XP to 2003...

Vista to 7, 7 to 7, etc are ALL faster because they use SMB version 2.

Does a Share come up like this:
\\192.168.1.13 but not \\computername or does it require \\computername.domain ???

If that is the case work with the NetBIOS and/or DNS side to troubleshoot it.