Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Hardware

Technibble Sponsor

Old 08-20-2012, 10:55 PM

KC Tech is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reset bios on a Toshiba l655-s5154 laptop

I recently did a fan swap on a clients computer. When I reassembled it plugged it in and turned it on, only the backlight came on. I did some research and forums said that resetting the bios would solve this problem.

I would like to ask if anyone knows reset it, or if you have any other ideas on what the problem might be.

Thank you
Old 08-21-2012, 12:01 AM

NYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really nice

Quote:
resetting the bios MAY solve this problem.
Did you google how to reset a bios ? Its pretty much laptop repair 101.

Also reseat anything you can get easy access to.

Hopefully you didnt put the wrong screws in the wrong holes, too long a screw in too short a hole can cause a short or worse.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:49 PM

I put the right screws in the right holes. It's just powering up, the screen is lighting up. but nothing shows on the screen. Do you think I need to reseat the processor? Thank you for the help by the way and I'm sorry I took so long to reply
Old 09-02-2012, 04:23 PM

compnet will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Tech View Post
I put the right screws in the right holes. It's just powering up, the screen is lighting up. but nothing shows on the screen. Do you think I need to reseat the processor? Thank you for the help by the way and I'm sorry I took so long to reply
If it worked before you did the fan, you didn't plug something in, or something is assembled incorrectly. Your "client" isn't mad you are two weeks over on a fan replacement?
Old 09-02-2012, 07:45 PM

NYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really nice

Quote:
Do you think I need to reseat the processor?
Well, since the processor is pretty much the final item in a tear down of the L655 (did you even have to go that deep for the fan ?) I still think you should try reseating everything else first. Easy stuff then go deeper. I'm just gonna leave it at, good luck.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:01 AM

Reegs is an unknown quantity at this point

Try swapping out memory. Or take out all of the memory to see if the POST will even start.

Maybe you shorted something during the teardown or reassembly phase.

I had just recently had a similar satellite in the shop with bad memory. Showed pretty much the same symptoms. One of the two memory sticks was bad. Took out the bad one (lucky first guess) and it started right up. I reset the bios by taking the battery and mobo battery out and holding in the power button for a min or so.

Last edited by Reegs; 09-03-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:26 AM

The problem is the screen. Everything showed fine on a external monitor I plugged in. I have to check all the connectors for the screen and possibly order a new one. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:20 AM

Reegs is an unknown quantity at this point

Might also want to check the "lid closed" switch. I've seen these get stuck and not let the screen come on.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:29 AM

Quote:
The problem is the screen. Everything showed fine on a external monitor I plugged in. I have to check all the connectors for the screen and possibly order a new one. Thanks for the help.
Ok, so it was booting you just didnt see anything on the screen. This is why its really important to note the difference between "only the backlight came on" and "it looks or sounds like its booting but I dont see anything on the screen".
Old 09-06-2012, 10:23 PM

Thanks reegs I'll check that out. NYJimbo thanks for trying to help also but why are you so aggressive with your post. I described the problem as I saw it. The backlight came on but nothing showed on the screen. I left it on for an hour to listen out for the windows boot sound but didn't hear it. All I heard was the fan turn on, turn off, then nothing.