Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 08-17-2012, 03:39 PM

TenYardFight will become famous soon enough
Default You can now port your number out of Google Voice!

If you're like me, and regret setting up a GV number as your main number and plastering it all over town, you'll be glad to know you can now port it to another provider! This wasn't possible when I check several months ago.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:48 PM

baccart is an unknown quantity at this point

but why do I want to do that? What are some problems you are facing with your number being with Google Voice?
Old 08-17-2012, 10:08 PM

Ccomp5950 will become famous soon enough

That's what I'm wondering, I'm in exactly the opposite situation, I'd love to port my main number to google voice.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:12 PM

Xander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the rough

I wouldn't mind porting my number to GV but they don't show much love for those out of the US.

I got a GrandCentral number years ago on my old personal address and, after seeing this thread, went to check something out. I just signed up to have that old number moved over to my main Google Apps address. It's still a Buffalo number and I'll rarely get any use out of it but... what the heck.

New here? Watch this and read this. Remember, it's not our problem, it's yours so ask your questions well.
e.g. Make/Model#, Win version/SP#, BSOD 0x#. Consider posting Event Viewer logs, Autoruns exports or Speccy reports.
More info means better answers and less snark.

Don't be parasitic and only pose your own questions. Help others.

D7 question/idea/etc? Bring it to the D7 Forums.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:22 PM

TenYardFight will become famous soon enough

It served us OK as we were getting started. There's plenty of stuff that we're going to find valuable from our new provider that GV can't do. Also, there were glitches. There were missed calls. ...and it's unsupported service.

I don't have our diagram in front of me, but with our new system, we're doing some pretty advanced stuff in an attempt to get every single revenue generating call and maximize our advertising dollars. The phone is answered with a different set of greetings based on what day or time it is. Callers that are checking the status of a repair are routed differently than new customers. We've got a dial by name directory (of little value), and an extension they press for an emergency. That extension, for existing customers, results in billable hours immediately and rings all techs at the time. An answering service is the last line of defense.

I might document it all for TN one of these days, in case someone else is interested. Most importantly, I feel that our main goal should be to answer the phone with a live voice, so the IVR doesn't kick in until 4 rings. Also, the very first thing I say to them in the greeting is something to reassure them that this system will help get them to a live voice within 30 seconds.

I will track abandoned calls and scrap the whole system if it doesn't better serve our customers and improve our bottom line.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:30 PM

JustInspired is a jewel in the roughJustInspired is a jewel in the roughJustInspired is a jewel in the rough

Just wish Google Voice would actually work here in the UK.

Kent Computer & Laptop Repairs
Kent Laptop Screen Replacement
Old 08-23-2012, 02:04 AM

RichmondTech will become famous soon enough

Um, I ported my GV number to Verizon about two years ago. It took about a week, but it worked. I was tired of people complaining about calls not going through. I'm sure the service has improved since then, but I haven't looked back.

Computer Repair Richmond VA
Old 08-26-2012, 07:29 PM

SupportCover.com can only hope to improve
Send a message via Skype™ to SupportCover.com

Why does it seem like Google Voice will be another service that Google run, but don't really put all their efforts and heart in to it? Anyway, there are much better services out there...
SupportCover.com - Providing an easy yet affordable way to grow your Computer Services business by providing full time cover, overflow cover, additional hours cover & sickness cover to your customers.

Special Offer For All TechNibble Members:
Use Promotional Code "Technibble" to get 50% off our service each month for the lifetime of your subscription!

Click Here For Benefits | Click Here For Pricing | Click Here To Sign Up

Old 08-31-2012, 12:16 PM

connectednetworks is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be good if a GV number could be used with a PBX mainly 3cx.