Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 08-10-2012, 09:09 PM

NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light

Have you verified that it is persistant ?
Old 08-11-2012, 10:43 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

I'll know for sure monday when I get home from work (I mentioned it only happened if my last connected network was different than my home network.)

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Author of CryptoPrevent - Crypto/Malware prevention for any OS.

Latest free tool: dBug - Neutralize malware preventing you from running removal tools.

NEW d7II single technician pricing!
Old 08-13-2012, 11:12 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

Well no.......... back to the same problem again, must have been a fluke on Friday.

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Latest free tool: dBug - Neutralize malware preventing you from running removal tools.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:40 AM

YOCS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolishTech View Post
Well no.......... back to the same problem again, must have been a fluke on Friday.
My first thought was there must be something in D7 that can fix this (there isn't right? )

I'm not sure if this will help but, I had a similar problem only the laptop wouldn't connect at all at the work location but, had no problem connecting at the users home.

This registry entry resolved the issue.
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Param eters create a new “DWORD Value” named “ArpRetryCount” with the value set to zero. Reboot.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:31 AM

datagnostic is an unknown quantity at this point

- Can you verify that the following option is disabled in your device management?

(just a random pic from google search)

- What security method are you using? WEP, WPA or WPA2?
- Probably using a preshared key?
- For WPA/WPA2: what encryption in use? TKIP or AES/CCMP?

Might be worth comparing the security/encryption methods between two sites.
Intel's wireless chipsets, for example, do not always play nicely with the TKIP standard. You can google "tkip countermeasures intel centrino" for an example
Old 08-14-2012, 12:59 PM

I do have it set to allow device to be turned off to save power - I'll disable that option, and also try the reg value. We'll see what happens when I get home today...

Both networks are WPA2 AES, the only differences are the SSID and password of course, and that the home network where the issue occurs is N and the work network is G.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:48 PM

datagnostic is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just thinking, as you mentioned it connects immediately you can pretty much rule out the security settings because it's already associated -hence, past the authentication phase- at that point.

Anything in the eventvwr? Something from the tcpip or dhcp instance?

Do you have the same IP ranges on both networks? Because it could be that it associates to the SSID immediately after waking, but it needs some time to release and renew it's DHCP lease.

If you have the same scope on both networks, it would probably try to do a dhcp REQUEST for the address it previously had. You could probably get a better view with Wireshark or Aeropeek if this was the case.