Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Hardware

Technibble Sponsor

Old 08-07-2012, 11:06 PM

PCX is a jewel in the roughPCX is a jewel in the roughPCX is a jewel in the roughPCX is a jewel in the rough

Why don't we have a :facepalm: emoticon?

Before you decided to post your problems on the forums, did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Be willing to do what your competition is not.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 08-07-2012, 11:22 PM

d3v is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually do need this particular adapter http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-DVI-I.../dp/B000FO6I84 not the one I was linked to.

Think about it...

I have two cables, one end is VGA that goes in to the back of the monitors, the other end is male DVI's.
The graphics card has one female DVI and one female VGA therefore I need a male VGA to female DVI, no?!?!

I actually have one of these adapters already, so I promptly hooked everything up and it works fine however I have found one of his monitors is actually dead so have to break the bad news now.

p.s I honestly have never in my 12 years in I.T ever hooked up more than one monitor, so am completely ignorant when it comes to video connections and such like!

Last edited by d3v; 08-07-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:25 AM

Vicenarian will become famous soon enough

Also, as far as I can remember, DVI-D ports can't use a DVI to VGA adapter, because they transmit only a digital signal. DVI-I to VGA works though, in general.

/CorrectMeIfImWrong

And, what your customer needs is 5 monitors, so sell him an AMD eyefinity setup already
2 Corinthians 5:21 "For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin (by dying in our place), so that we could be made right with God through Christ."
Old 08-08-2012, 01:50 AM

James_S is on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicenarian View Post
Also, as far as I can remember, DVI-D ports can't use a DVI to VGA adapter, because they transmit only a digital signal. DVI-I to VGA works though, in general.

/CorrectMeIfImWrong
You're right, DVI-D is digital only, no analog, but that doesn't stop people on eBay from selling over 800 of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-1-DVI-Pin...-/150729498300
Old 08-08-2012, 02:15 AM

oldtech will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
Why don't we have a :facepalm: emoticon?
My thoughts exactly and yes i marked my calendar where PCX and I agreed on something - trying for the life of me to figure out a way to not call out the OP as an end user...

If the OP is truly supporting clients I would suggest taking a huge step back and getting some training before venturing out the door again.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:57 AM

pc-quebec is on a distinguished road

double face palm.

Nearly all the video cards with dual dvi come with a dvi to vga adaptor, I have a full box of them.....
Old 08-08-2012, 03:42 AM

Vicenarian will become famous soon enough

I don't see it as a 'facepalm' moment...not a whole lot of users run dual/more monitors, and furthermore, with the inconsistent implementations of video adapter technologies by manufacturers, it's perfectly conceivable that one can become confused by all the information. Plus, there are some cards that have 3 outputs, but can only output to 2 displays simultaneously...and cards that have 4-5 outputs, but only a certain set of ports will work at one time.

It's like Displayport and the whole active/passive adapter thing...sort of confusing for most people at first
2 Corinthians 5:21 "For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin (by dying in our place), so that we could be made right with God through Christ."

Last edited by Vicenarian; 08-08-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:59 AM

d3v is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't see it as a 'facepalm' moment...not a whole lot of users run dual/more monitors, and furthermore, with the inconsistent implementations of video adapter technologies by manufacturers, it's perfectly conceivable that one can become confused by all the information. Plus, there are some cards that have 3 outputs, but can only output to 2 displays simultaneously...and cards that have 4-5 outputs, but only a certain set of ports will work at one time.

It's like Displayport and the whole active/passive adapter thing...sort of confusing for most people at first
Thank you!
Old 08-08-2012, 01:08 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I don't see it as a 'facepalm' moment...not a whole lot of users run dual/more monitors, ...
To be fair to the OP you're right, these days there is a lot of confusing video tech out there.

But to be fair to the facepalm'ers, while true that a lot of customers don't run multi-monitor setups, how many times in a tech's career should he be expected to install a video card in a machine? Plenty, you would assume, from upgrades/replacing bad ones/new builds. Now most every card in the last 5-10 years has been dual head.... and most every card that is dual head by default has one VGA and one DVI especially on the low end, and every card like that comes with a friggin adapter so you can use that DVI port with a VGA monitor!!! Point being, you would think that just once, said tech would look at the adapter in the box and realize what it is used for...

I think that is what people are having a hard time understanding....

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Check out my videos on using various Foolish IT software.

Latest free tool: CryptoPrevent - Cryptolocker prevention for any OS. Current Version: 4.3.2

Also check out My Network Boot Setup details, and the comment thread.
Boot diag CDs over the network / deploy Windows installs with updates, drivers, and pre-installed apps in minutes!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:41 PM

Matt1178 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Matrox DualHead2Go Analogue Edition Graphics eXpansion Module

Matrox DualHead2Go Analogue Edition Graphics eXpansion Module