Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Hardware

Technibble Sponsor

Old 08-03-2012, 10:37 PM

trevm999 is on a distinguished road
Default Card Stock

I need to quote a printer for a client that can handle 70lb Card Stock. I have a couple HP LaserJet Printers to choose from (such as M451dn, M601dn, M4345 MFP, P3015dn, M2727nf, P2055dn) However the only information I can find is that some of them support card stock, but no LBs, PT. or GSM. Is 70lb a normal amount that if a printer says it can use Card Stock it will work? Or is there some other place I can consult?
Old 08-04-2012, 01:38 PM

coffee has a spectacular aura aboutcoffee has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to coffee

I have worked on printers for years for various companies and I can tell you something about card stock and printers.

The recommended weight of paper for your basic laser printer is 18-22lbs. Now comes card stock. Most printers will require you to feed them single sheet thru the front feeder. Reason for this is 70lb stock cannot manage all the turns required from trays. Depending on the model of printer you might have to adjust the fuser temp to a higher setting in order to seal the toner to the stock.

Here is what the customer will eventually do: They will load heavy stock paper into the tray and it will stress the pickup assembly and either chew up the gears or snap the pickup assembly. Happens all the time.

I recommend they save their money and have them printed by a professional. The cost of ownership will be high if they choose to print them by themselves.

Just my .02 worth and experience.

Best Regards,

Coffee

www.renuecomputers.com
Old 08-04-2012, 06:00 PM

trevm999 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input. I was never told who the client was, but I know we do have a couple adertising companies on our client list, however I don't think I would be the one finding a printer for them. I assume the client was at least a larger business, though I agree that getting such things printed professionally is usually the best/cheapest way to go.

It turns out that I got the information wrong, it it was supposed to be a colour laserjet, and I didn't have to choose from something in stock. I ended up quoting an Enterprise class printer.