Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Hardware

Technibble Sponsor

Old 08-03-2012, 07:10 PM

ClickRight is on a distinguished road
Default Ideapad Y530 new screen, no backlight!

Hi All,

Ordered a replacement screen from Screen Country for a Lenovo ideaPad Y530. (The original screen had water damage B154EW09 V.2 so we ordered a replacement compatible with that model.) The screen arrived and it was the wrong model (inverter cable in the wrong position so the LCD casing would not close.) We contacted the supplier and they sent another replacement screen (LP154Wx7) However, the backlight doesn't come on.

The backlight worked with BOTH the original screen and first replacement so it's not the inverter.

We are closing for 2 weeks holidays and this is the absolute last day to get this commuter out of here (we had to wait a week for the replacement screen from screencountry ) - any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:22 PM

NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light

You are going to have to feed power into the Y530 CCFL somehow. You dont need to feed it via the original inverter, you can partially disassemble a working laptop screen and connect the Y530 CCFL wires to the output of the inverter from the partial disassembled laptop and turn that laptop on.

Since that laptop is working ok and the screen cable to its own LCD is good it doesnt know anything about the CCFL on the Y530 lcd, its just two stupid wires.

So if the test computer can fire its own CCFL it should be able to fire the Y530 LCD CCFL.

If it doesn't you have a bad CCFL in the Y530 screen.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:54 PM

Thanks NY! It's a LED Panel I should have mentioned -- that's the method I use for CCFL panels too.

There was a plastic piece blocking the cable from fully inserting into the inverter. We blew it out with compressed air and the cable went in further. Pressed power and BAM -- backlight SUCCESS!
Old 08-04-2012, 04:17 AM

NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickRight View Post
Thanks NY! It's a LED Panel I should have mentioned -- that's the method I use for CCFL panels too.

There was a plastic piece blocking the cable from fully inserting into the inverter. We blew it out with compressed air and the cable went in further. Pressed power and BAM -- backlight SUCCESS!
Why did you say "so it's not the inverter" ? Why does this LED LCD use an inverter ? Are you using a conversion cable ?

Last edited by NYJimbo; 08-04-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJimbo View Post
Why did you say "so it's not the inverter" ? Why does this LED LCD use an inverter ? Are you using a conversion cable ?
I'm sorry, what do you call it then? I have yet to have to replace one, it's simply labelled as an LED backlight connector on the screen itself. The board looks like one but I guess inverter is not the correct term, maybe converter? It's not a LCD to LED conversion cable though!

Edit: Picture of back of screen for reference: https://www.screencountry.com/img/sc...p%20screen.jpg